cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRO TIP - RUM injection check tips

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Sometimes you might encounter issues with RUM injection by OneAgent. This may have different reasons. 

Use the dtHealthCheck as the user-agent header in your request to validate the injection. For example:

curl --user-agent "dtHealthCheck" https://your.site -v -o /dev/null

Then check the response headers. It should contain the x-dthealthcheck headers such as:

x-dthealthcheck: OK|0xd75620e4e0330b23
x-dthealthcheck: ALREADY_INJECTED_HEADER_FOUND|0xea94eb939e4beabd

These contain useful information - if the injection was tried and what was the result. In this example, RUM was injected by an application server and also tried on the webserver, but it was already injected.

A lot of RUM injection errors can be diagnosed this way. 

If you are still not successful with the RUM JavaScript injection, check:

• if the agent is deployed and application processes restarted
  • if you have remaining DEM licenses in your environment as injection won't happen if there are no remaining DEM licenses
  • check your application detection rules in Settings > Web and mobile monitoring > Application detection and check if the application URL resolves to the desired application in Dynatrace
  • check if the Application in Dynatrace is enabled
  • check if injection for the process groups where it should happen is enabled
  • some Java web frameworks (ZK framework for example) already produce compressed output and Dynatrace is unable to inject there. You can try to issue the request without Accept-Encoding header and check if the injection is performed or not. 
  • Some built-in Java webservers such as undertow in certain combinations have issues with injection. Try setting the Deep Monitoring flag  "Java Real user monitoring v2" for the process groups.
Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner
2 REPLIES 2

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Great Pro Tip @Julius_Loman!

-Chad

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Julius_Loman,

When I have a RUM injection issue, I always follow your checklist and what was shown in https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Videos/Dynatrace-Tips-amp-Tricks-Episode-2-with-Julius-Loman/m-p/...

Just want to contribute something mind-boggling that happened to me in the last days, as it might happen to others:

• ruxitagentjs was being injected in the HTML correctly, with application id, endpoint, etc.
  • ruxitagentjs was being downloaded from the server with an HTTP/200
  • rb_* were not being sent back to the server

Everything seemed to be OK. It was only when I got an HAR of the tests that it was clear to me: the ruxitagentjs being sent was an HTML page, and not Javascript! The request was being intercepted by an ISAPI filter that was rewriting it below the OneAgent level 🤣

So, if it seems to be downloading OK, but it doesn't work, please check if the ruxitagentjs is really the Dynatrace RUM Javascript code...

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts