cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Windows service monitoring

saldrich
Participant

Outside of the typically Processes you see listed for a Windows Server there are a couple additional services I want to for this particular servers. For example the below to Windows Services don't show up under "All Processes"

CyberArk Application Password Provider
World Wide Web Publishing Service

How do I setup the monitoring for these custom services (as I tried following different steps I found online) and will they show up under "All Processes" once it's configured? Are there any restarts or anything to detect once it's configured?

Appreciate any feedback as I have been trying to figure this out for a bit now. Thanks.

Shaun

11 REPLIES 11

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

You need to create Process group detection rules.

Best regards 

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Thanks so much for the reply. So in order to detect a Windows service I need to create process group detection rules? Sorry which section below do I need to create this. I thought it was a matter of configuring "Classic Windows services monitoring" but it sounds like your saying I need to create some kind of process rule for this. Look forward to your assistance. Thanks.

saldrich_0-1680477293211.png

Hi,

If your processes does not appear in your process list inside host, you need to create a rule in Settings > Processes and containers > Custom process monitoring rules

Best regards

Thanks again for the reply. Under Hosts->Hostname->Settings I see the following options. I didn't see a Processes and containers area.

saldrich_0-1680522796929.png

Hi,

This is not in host setting. You need to go to general settings in left menu:

AntonPineiro_0-1680537519273.png

And later, Processes and containers > Custom process monitoring rules.

Best regards

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi saldrich,

you can proceed with the OS services monitoring option if you are looking for availability only, you can find the steps here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/os-services

if you are looking for deep monitoring or process utilization you can proceed with Process group detection rules as AntonPineiro mentioned, however, the deep monitoring of these services might not be possible as most probably they will be detected as unknown technology

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for the reply. I configured "Classic Windows service monitoring" already as shown in the screenshot but I don't see the CyberArk service show up in the All processes section or in the Services section so now I am confused how to get Windows services monitored within Dynatrace. Appreciate any guidance anyone has. Thanks.

saldrich_0-1680534037226.png

saldrich_1-1680534139859.png

Hi Mohamed,

The service on the server is in a disabled state but I don't see any new problems coming in showing availability issues and that it is not running.

saldrich_0-1680561256425.png

Hi @saldrich,

for classic Windows service monitoring, please make sure that you've added the service name not the display name

Mohamed_Hamdy_0-1680603468109.png

then you need to create Metric events for alerting on service availability
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/windows-services#metric-events-for-alerting-on-serv...

also, try to use the OS services monitoring
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/os-services

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi saldrich,

Creating the OS service Availability will not reflect the service as a process, it's just monitoring the availability, so you will not find it All processes section.

if the rule is defined properly, then once it's not in a running state a problem will be generated.

Thanks Mohamed / Anton for the replies. Is there anyway to also setup Windows Service Monitoring where you see it listed in the All Processes or the Services section and not just monitoring the availability? If not, Availability will do but it would be nice if it will show up somewhere as there are specific Windows Services for some of our servers we want to monitor and it would be great to see them listed.

Featured Posts