cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerting on Recurring process restart

shifu
Newcomer

Hi, 

We got a recurring process that restarts every hour and is executed for 30 min, is it possible to create an alert when this process hasn't restarted for 1 hour?

shifu_0-1657702319676.png

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi Shifu,

Maybe you should use this feature:  Process group availability monitoring and alerting | Dynatrace Docs

It is immediately opens a problem. If you would like to receive for example an e-mail notification after one hour about this issue you should:

1. Create a management zone for this single process (in the settings/preferences),

2. Create an alerting profile (in the settings / alerting) - set the availability alert after 60 mins and the others severities based on your requirements,

3. Create an e-mail problem notification (in the settings / integrarion) - use the created alerting profile above.

I hope this is your request.

processgroup_availability.png

Br, Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi Shifu,

I have just realized that my previous comment does not provide solution for your problem...sorry.

Br, Mizső

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi Shifu,

I have another idea, but it is not a full solution. You can use the events api the get information about events. You can count the process restart of the specific process in a spercific time frame. Please check the environment api v2 events api. You can find a get / events endpoint. On the DT GUI you can test it with a events.read api token.

I have made an exapmle. This curl can be use to fetch the a sepecific process restarts events count for the specific process group in the last 12 hours.

curl -X GET https://yourserver/e/yourenvironmentid/api/v2/events?from=now-12h&eventSelector=eventType%28%22PROCESS_RESTART%22%29&entitySelector=entityId%28%22PROCESS_GROUP_INSTANCE-yourprocessgroupid%22%29 -H "accept: application/json; charset=utf-8" -H "Authorization: Api-Token yourreadeventv2apitoken"

With the above curl you can create a script which one could run every hours (change the from now-1h).

The response first line is the events count see an example below (for smtpd process), rest of the lines are unnecessary for you:

response:
{
"totalCount": 21,
"pageSize": 100,
"events": [
{
"eventId": "-3274538997293409360_1657721040000",
"startTime": 1657721040000,
"endTime": 1657721050000,
"eventType": "PROCESS_RESTART",
"title": "Process restart",
"entityId": {
"entityId": {
"id": "PROCESS_GROUP_INSTANCE-yourprocessid",
"type": "PROCESS_GROUP_INSTANCE"
},
"name": "smtpd"
},
"properties": [
{
"key": "dt.event.group_label",
"value": "Process restart"
},
{
"key": "dt.event.impact_level",
"value": "Infrastructure"
}
],
"status": "CLOSED",
"entityTags": [
{
"context": "CONTEXTLESS",
"key": "X hosts",
"stringRepresentation": "X hosts"
},
{
"context": "CONTEXTLESS",
"key": "ProcessGroupName",
"value": "smtpd",
"stringRepresentation": "ProcessGroupName:smtpd"
}
],
"managementZones": [],
"underMaintenance": false,
"suppressAlert": false,
"suppressProblem": false,
"frequentEvent": false
},

It is not a full solution beasue you do not have notification about it. Maybe you can ingest back this metric to DT via the Metrics API, but I do not have experience with it.

I hope it is uesful for you.

Br, Mizső

Hi @Mizső 

Yep, your suggestion to ingest the information back to dynatrace with metric/ingest is working.

Attached a small AG extension (v1) that pulls the restart events according to supplied tag and it push the information back to dynatrace.

Here is how the UI is look like

Yosi_Neuman_0-1657783602115.png

And this is the ingest metric in dynatrace 

Yosi_Neuman_1-1657783952253.png

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Yos,

Thank you very much!!! 

Br, Mizső

shifu
Newcomer

Thank you Mizsö for you replies, i'll try some of your propositions, maybe one will fetch well.

Shifu

Featured Posts