cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set alerts for "stunnel" process of type other, please help

b_wijfjes
Newcomer

On several servers we have a process called "stunnel".

Here are the properties and tags:

• Type: Other
  • Bitness: 32-bit
  • EXE name: STunnel.exe
  • EXE path: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\STUNNEL.EXE
  • Ports: 8586
  • Process group: stunnel - multiplatform SSL tunneling proxy

This process creates a SSL tunnel from A to B, nothing spectacular. But sometimes it drops its connection as you can see in the screenshot at 04:00 till 06:00:

The stunnel proces does not stop working, it just goes dormant for no apparent reason. There is a log file created by this process but it just stops logging whenever the network drops. Location B is not monitored.

This is what I came up with to get a notification but does not work:

• Logfile monitoring does not work because whenever the network drops, it stops logging to the file.
  • Create a custom service does not work with type Other.
  • The 3 default choices at availability monitoring "if service requests are impacted" (there are no service requests monitored), "if any process becomes unavailable (stunnel keeps running dormant) " and "if minimum threshold is not met (only shown number of instances)" are not working.

I am trying to figure out how to get a notification whenever the network traffic for this process drops like 80% or more. I cannot figure it out, please help me.

2 REPLIES 2

Try creating Custom Alerts for this process (all instances, not process group):

Use measure Bytes received per second and Bytes send per second. Both should be violating when such situation happens. Check it in network metrics to pick right thresholds.

Sebastian

b_wijfjes
Newcomer

@Sebastian K. Thanks for the answer, created a custom alert and now testing to see if it works . I will update this post with the result.