cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to send snmp traps from dynatrace to other systems? (integration)

MillerGEP
Visitor

Hi Everyone...

I have Dynatrace SAS and in our organization we have monitoring infrastructure (DX UIM) of broadcom.

We need sent the events/alerts from Dynatrace to DX UIM. Is possible this ?

I am thinking in traps_snmp, but i don't see that documentation explainthis...

Any sugerence ?

6 REPLIES 6

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@MillerGEP,

First of all, traps are old technology (used it first some 35 years ago 😂).

Second, Dynatrace does not send SNMP traps, and this would not be particularly easy originating from a Dynatrace SaaS environment.

Now, given what SNMP traps are, you (or someone else...) could easily develop a Dynatrace extension, that could easily read the events/problems API and send traps accordingly. I would focus probably on events, as they are more SNMP traps comparable. The new Dynatrace platform features (eg. AutomationEngine) are probably not applicable here, as EdgeConnect is not able to originate UDP traffic, which is needed for SNMP traps.

This is a project that would consume some 50 development hours, for someone that is familiar with Dynatrace extensions. But you probably have even other options besides traps, and although I have never interfaced with DX UIM, I have done similar things with other CA/Broadcom offerings. And there you might even be able to use EdgeConnect...

Antonio Sousa

Hi @AntonioSousa I say traps because although it is old technology, many solutions still use it and it works correctly. In fact, in communications equipment, the state of its components is effective through traps.

I'm going to explore what you mention, however, I see that someone Dynatrace created this process...

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Extensions/Is-it-possible-to-send-traps-from-Dynatrace-to-an-IP/m...

Best Regards...!!!

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@MillerGEP,

It's old technology and mostly it works correctly: say, if you've got a device that is at 100ºC, emits an UDP/SNMP trap and that packet gets lost, as many UDP packets do, what happens? And, how would it traverse the modern Internet, where UDP is mostly banished?

BTW, yes, it's mainly used by network devices, but why would an observability platform have to work as a network device?

And as you can see in the link you posted, it's about extending the platform to suit whatever needs you might have. Beware that appmon has long been gone, but the same principals apply...

Antonio Sousa

@AntonioSousa My intention is not to debate whether traps is good or bad, or if it is the best option for my need "Send Dynatrace events/alerts to another monitoring system". If there is a way to achieve what I need, I would appreciate the community's support and suggestions.

If you have any strategy or recommendation that helps achieve my goal, I would appreciate it.

Best regards

@MillerGEP,

Yes, the strategy I would suggest is the one I outlined already: you query the events API and originate the traps from a Dynatrace extension.

Antonio Sousa

PacoPorro
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Alternatively to what @AntonioSousa propose:
you can create a script launching a Flask web server listening for POST requests. When a POST request is received, it expects JSON data with the proper information. If the fields are present, it extracts the problem information and sends an SNMP trap to a specified IP address.
Then you can use Notifications to send the problem to the webhook.

Featured Posts