cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the different type of data

I previously asked a question where I totally mixed up logs with Dynatrace data. So I would like to be clear this time.

1.What are the different types of data in Dynatrace if there is any ?

2. What is the different between those stored data ?

• Service request level retention
  • Service code level retention
  • Real user monitoring retention
  • Synthetic monitoring retention

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Bert_VANDEGAER_
Participant

You basically have 2 main data storage tools installed: ElasticSearch and Cassandra

Elasticsearch is more for the internal DT data and all UEM (transactions, etc) are stored in Cassandra.

The maximum size of the Cassandra storage is set by either 'Transaction storage' max limit or by retention period set in the relevant xxx-level retention boxes. (which ever threshold is reached first, will determine you actual size)

• Service request level retention
    • Keeps the data about the actual URL calls (requests)
  • Service code level retention
    • For certain technology (Java, .NET, ...) DT can see/store the actual code being executed.
  • Real user monitoring retention
    • Data coming in from ruxit injection within you web applications, showing real user behaviour
  • Synthetic monitoring retention
    • Data coming from your own custom created synthetic monitoring (so a 'robot' replay of predefined scenario's)

Very compressed answer, but hope it helps 😉

Grtz,

Bert

It helped me a lot, the only think that is still confusing is the fact that you mention Cassandra and Elasticsearch, however I don't think we have these db and log mangement tool in my company. Just for information, we are using the Dynatrace managed version. So if I understand, thoses features ( Cassandra and Elasticsearch ) are embedded in the managed version ?

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Yes. Each Dynatrace Managed node has 1 node of Cassandra and 1 node of Elasticsearch.

Cassandra storage - contains mostly timeseries metric data and configuration

Elasticsearch storage - contains user sessions, events, problems and few others.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Hi Radoslaw,

Cassandra storage - contains mostly timeseries metric data and configuration

Elasticsearch storage - contains user sessions, events, problems and few others.

1.Please explain more about the data stored in Cassandra and Elastisearch with some example data for cassandra.

2.whether Elastisearch is used in Dynatrace API's where we pull several reports, please provide some DT UI references where Elastisearch is used in background ?

3. if Elastisearch service stops working what data will not be stored and retrieved ?

Featured Posts