Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ingest alphanumerical values and display on dashboard

freudi
Visitor

Hey there,

I'am just stepping into the depths of Dynatrace and now I got a problem:

How to ingest alphanumerical values into Dynatrace and display them on the dashboard?

1. this works because the value is numerical

/opt/dynatrace/oneagent/agent/tools/dynatrace_ingest "anz_bla.count `ls -ltr /tmp/anz/bla* | wc -l`" 

This script counts files in /tmp/anz/. With this metric (anz.bla.count.gauge) I can use nearly any tile I want.

2. that doesn't work, because of the string value

/opt/dynatrace/oneagent/agent/tools/dynatrace_ingest "timestamp_host `date`"

There is no reaction in Dynatrace.

Now my questions:

How can I ingest alphanumerical values? date is only an example.

How can I display alphanumerical values in dashboards? Table, Textbox, or something else. Graph, I assume, would not work ;-). The workaround with writing a log file should work, but I cannot test this in my sandbox.

Is there a way to manipulate values when they come in? I.E. Value comes in -> Script changes input "OK" to 1 -> manipulated value is being used by Dynatrace.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Martin

2 REPLIES 2

nickvogt
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hi @freudi,

It sounds like you want to ingest dimensions with your metric. Something like a status code "OK" would make sense here. But a timestamp here would not make sense, as it would increase the number of unique dimension key-value combinations and likely cause you to run into dimensionality limits.

The agent accepts data according to the metric ingest protocol. Adding a status code dimension may look like this:

/opt/dynatrace/oneagent/agent/tools/dynatrace_ingest "my.http.status.metric,status=${status} ${value}"

I hope this helps answer your question.

Take care,
Nick

HI @nickvogt 

Well, Its works, but i need few more information's in my problems.
I want to see the host name and port number details as well in my problem ticket created. 
/opt/dynatrace/oneagent/agent/tools/dynatrace_ingest concurrent.connection.small.metric 

However I would like to pass few variable like hostname port number to see these details in Problem generated. 

How can I do that
how should I see that hostname and port number that I am passing through my script. 

Featured Posts