cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create New Dashboards via API

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I'm missing an API to create/share new Dashboards (non-classic).
Is this really missing or is it just not documented?

Dashboards are one of the most essential assets still. So I can't believe there is no API for that?

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net
8 REPLIES 8

Dant3
Pro

If I recall correctly the Dashboards are using the Document Service, so the share document are actually there.

I think an improvement in Dashboard API or Documentation actually worth it, since I cross with it when working with the Doc Service for another reason. 

Services Solution Engineer @PowerCloud - Observability/CloudOps Certified / Former SE @Dynatrace.

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

It's carefully hidden. But it's there as a document service.

@r_weber btw. it's also possible to use Monaco with it, just it's still hidden under a feature flag. Also if you run into strange HTTP codes such as 409, your documents are deleted but not permanently deleted. You need to delete them permanently or restore them

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Jesus! WHY???

zietho
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Acknowledge that we can improve the visibility! 

Where would you expect it to show up?
(it might seem like a naive question at this point, but I intentionally try not to bias here and ask an open-ended question). 

@zietho first of all please add it to the docs.dynatrace.com in the API section. There is no single mention of the API URL in docs or developer.dynatrace.com. 

Also please improve the API doc and include all response codes at least. I was desperately looking at response status codes and the API response did not have any text description either.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I think developer.dynatrace.com is ok if someone wants to build apps with NodeJS/Typescript. But honestly that's not what I'd go to look for in the first place.
If I'm used to play/test with Postman or any custom code (python, ...) then I'd expect a swagger or proper API documentation (here) and please re-introduce the easily accessible swagger link directly from the new Dynatrace UI! 😉
And a plus: maybe even provide a postman collection and keep it up-to-date 😉

zietho
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Thank you for the swift and thorough reply!

regards

Thomas

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Thanks Thomas!
That link is golden!

Featured Posts