cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Dynatrace-server.service unable to start

KeanBoon
Participant

I am trying to perform Dynatrace Managed migration. I have followed the steps using backup and restore a cluster. Everything works fine until Failed to start Dynatrace Server. I keep getting the error below:

dynatrace-server.service - Dynatrace Server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/dynatrace-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2023-09-08 03:06:17 +08; 17s ago
Process: 272397 ExecStart=/opt/dynatrace-managed/server/services/server.sh start (code=exited, status=3)

Sep 08 02:51:13  sudo[272428]: dynatrace : problem with defaults entries ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ;
Sep 08 02:51:13 sudo[272428]: dynatrace : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/opt/dtrun/dtrun /opt/dynatrace-managed/installer/bin/configurator ->
Sep 08 02:51:15 server.sh[272397]: It's running after 0 seconds
Sep 08 02:51:16 server.sh[272397]: Waiting 900 seconds until it's listening ...
Sep 08 03:06:17 server.sh[272397]: It's still not listening after 900 seconds
Sep 08 03:06:17 server.sh[272397]: Not running
Sep 08 03:06:17 server.sh[272397]: Starting Server ... failed, it's running but not listening
Sep 08 03:06:17 systemd[1]: dynatrace-server.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=3
Sep 08 03:06:17 systemd[1]: dynatrace-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 08 03:06:17 systemd[1]: Failed to start Dynatrace Server.

Please advise on the error above. Appreciate your opinion on this. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Taylor-Sanchez
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi @KeanBoon ,

This question might best be served as a Chat question on D1 or Support so that you can provide the entire relevant output, logs, and specific steps taken for installation. 

Cheers,

Taylor S.

Dynatrace ACE Services Consultant

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

This specific line tells the Server process is running, however it hasn't complete the startup:

Sep 08 03:06:17 server.sh[272397]: Starting Server ... failed, it's running but not listening

In order to find out, you have to look into the server.log. Usually such situations occur when where's a connectivity issue with other nodes or a misconfigured operating system. As suggested, the fastest way to solve it - get in touch with us via Zendesk - visit Support Center - https://support.dynatrace.com/

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

pradeepboda
Newcomer

Could you please let me know how did you fix the issue.

I am also facing same error.

● dynatrace-server.service - Dynatrace Server
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/dynatrace-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2023-10-10 14:38:21 EDT; 18s ago
Process: 32199 ExecStart=/dynatrace/server/services/server.sh start (code=exited, status=2)
Tasks: 2 (limit: 32768)
CGroup: /system.slice/dynatrace-server.service
└─11664 /dynatrace/server/dynatraceserver -config /dynatrace/server/conf/dynatraceserver.ini -bg

Hi Pradeepboda,

I encountered the issue due to insufficient storage allocated at the disk when doing the migration to new server. The issue resolved when additional storage was allocated to the disk.

There was another time I encounter the similar issue where dynatrace-server.service unable to start at 3-node cluster. This was due to elasticsearch.service at node 2 unable to start, hence causing dynatrace-server.service unable to start at node 1. The issue resolved when the elasticsearch.service at node 2 able to start.

Featured Posts