Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

NAM - Managed?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

NAM has been launched. It replaces, although not said, the port & ping monitoring that existed before. It's also an implication of the move away from EF1.

The documentation talks a lot about the latest Dynatrace way to do it, but does not talk about Managed: https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/platform-modules/digital-experience/synthetic-monitoring/network-ava...

I have a very big implementation of port monitoring on a Managed environment. 1.296 for Managed will start appearing next week. What should we expect?

Antonio Sousa
12 REPLIES 12

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

As the Documentation is now split between SaaS docs and Managed docs , I found the same page mentioned above, but on its Managed version:

https://docs.dynatrace.com/managed/shortlink/network-availability-monitoring

The funny thing is: it seems to be an exact copy of the first one, as although being a Managed page, it mentions "Latest Dynatrace"

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 11.34.21.png

The documentation on that page seems a bit confusing (some of its links lead you to pages talking about "apps", but on managed??)...

So, I'm not 100% confident that NAM will be available on Managed or not...

Someone from Dynatrace should clarify if it will, as well as check the validity of these "Latest Dynatrace" mentions on the Dynatrace Managed docs.

Thanks 🙂

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback 🙂 

This should not be there. We noticed this earlier as well and are issuing the fix.

As Jacek mentioned, we're working on a separate documentation for NAM for Managed. 

Jacek_Janowicz
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi @AntonioSousa ,

Thank you for raising that question. I’m happy to assure you that we also offer Network Application Monitoring (NAM) for Managed customers. All three types of NAM monitors are available for Managed customers, although there are some differences:

1. The latest Dynatrace approach for handling NAM with the new Synthetic app is not available for Managed environments.
  2. NAM Configuration and Reporting for Managed :
    • Configuration of NAM monitors is available through the API only for Managed and as an add-on option for the latest Dynatrace.
    • Reporting for NAM monitors relies on metrics produced by NAM. Additionally, we’ve added basic out-of-the-box (OOB) reporting based on the Unified Analysis screen.
    • Alerting also works the same way for both, Managed and SaaS.

Our team is already working on more detailed documentation for this aspect. Expect additional chapters of documentation to be available soon. I’ll also ping you within this thread to keep you informed.

Additionally, I wanted to inform you that next week we will be releasing a blog post about NAM. This post will include a dedicated section specifically focused on Managed customers.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Best Regards,

Jacek

I'll have to wait for more information and see exactly what comes out with Managed. One more example of the bad things that came along with the EF1 -> EF2 migration.

Also, there are some unbelievable things, like using different metrics for SaaS / Managed, the nonexistence of UI configuration, documentation completely done wrong, ...

Antonio Sousa

jegron
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @AntonioSousa !

For your information Dynatrace provide a migrator script  :

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

@jegron,

BTW, where did you find that link? It might be a precious help, but not sure how it's supported, and if I can use it for the volume I have!

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa,
The script uses DT API that has a paging mechanism implemented, so in theory it should handle high numbers well.
The command get will convert the extension endpoints to monitor definitions one-by-one and save them locally. It will not modify the environment in any way, only the command post does. The worst case scenario is that it will take very long for a high number of endpoints.
Having said that, the script wasn't tested for huge loads and maybe there is some throttling on the DT side if there are too many requests done in short amount of time.

I'd recommend to run the get command and look if the number of definitions is correct.
Please feel free to reach out to me for any questions about the script or any problems you run into.

jegron
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

@AntonioSousa : We are working with Jacek since several month for a customer as Early adopter 🙂

For your information we did not test the script because we started directly with the new Synthetic.

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

Is there any page which describes the scripts/ tools that Dynatrace is making available for their customers? or do we have just keep and eye on the github 

Experienced Technologist | Observability & Application Performance Management Expert

Hi,

You can check:

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Jacek_Janowicz
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi all,

Thanks for the discussion and feedback shared already.

I want to provide some updates here:

We have released a blogpost about NAM, which, among other things contains:

• Section focused on offer for Managed users
  • Link to script for converting extensions NAM monitors

I also know from good sources, that Managed documentation of NAM is about to be refreshed.

Additionally, I'd like to let you know that we're also exploring options of delivering basic option of using Unified Analysis based UI for creating NAM monitors. So far, I can not give you ETA for it or even promise that it is doable.
But let mu use that discussion as an opportunity to ask the question: do you see it as a good approach from your perspective?

Best Regards,

Jacek

@Jacek_Janowicz,

Quite frankly, when I read the first paragraph of the blog post, I was disappointed. For anyone that reads that first paragraph, it seems that the Dynatrace platform is doing this for the first time? I have been doing ICMP latency detailed analysis with Dynatrace for more than 3 years now, and the official Dynatrace port&ping extensions have been out there for some time, too! And yes, they were a good solution, you could do it by API (I was doing it), only the cost model was wrong... Quite frankly again, this is the change that makes more sense to me!

Unified Analysis seems good to me, but it won't be a good option for Managed, because Synthetics have a view that is not aligned with Unified Analysis. So, it will be another hack... In SaaS, let's see.

Regarding other aspects, I'll have to check my wish list better. But it seems that the one on the top has not been contemplated; I'll put it as a Product Idea next.

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts