cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveGate install MSSQL Server

jakab3t
Visitor

Hello!

Unfortunately, every time I get information, I get a different answer.

So my question is: do I have to restart the server after installing Activegate?

The reason why this is an important question is because it is a MSSQL server in a Product live environment.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

4 REPLIES 4

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Why would you install an ActiveGate on a production database server?

And what is the relation to extensions (the forum this is posted in)?

Server restart on AG installation isn't required, but I would advise against whatever the plan is here.

We want to use Microsoft SQL Server extension.

The MSSQL server itself has several live databases. Since the live databases on the server are responsible for the operation of several live systems, they cannot be restarted at any time.
Unfortunately, so far I have received information that a full server restart is required.

The question was not intended here, but my browser froze when I submitted it and it was in the wrong place. I apologize for that.

Restarting it is not in our documentation steps and I've never needed to do that.

However, ActiveGates should be installed on dedicated systems and definitely not on production database instances.

To monitor that you can use the latest Microsoft SQL Server extension and either:

• Install a OneAgent (infrastructure mode is fine and likely recommended on a DB server) and activate this extension locally.
  • Install an ActiveGate on a separate dedicated system and activate this remotely (it will remotely connect to the DB from the AG).

Thank you very much!

Featured Posts