cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Challenges in building an extension

motdde
Participant

Hello Community,

Where is the appropriate location to store temporary files, I seem to be getting "error 13 permission denied" when trying to read or write a file from my extension logic.

When I started working on this extension, I had a lot of questions and I am glad I saw similar answers in the community. I wish the docs are comprehensive or maybe I haven't found the right docs.

Please share if you do.

13 REPLIES 13

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi,

I've always used import tempfile and saved it in tempfile.gettempdir(). That works with thousands of endpoints over hundreds of companies.

Mike

Mike

Thanks, Mike.

I know metrics have to be defined in the JSON file before any of the methods like "absolute or relative" can be used with the key named argument.

Is there a way to do dynamic metrics? I intend to get the metric from the config UI.

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

What I always do when that's needed is to send in the metrics via the metrics ingest API/cli. That way you can name it whatever.

Mike

So using the API or CLI doesn't need the device group or device, right?

Kindly share with me an open-source Activegate plugin with this pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Correct. For improved visualization you can create a generic entity, and potentially a generic relationship.

Mike

Kindly share with me an open-source Activegate plugin with this pattern.

Thanks in advance.

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi, There is none, only paid extensions from our services department.

Mike

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@motdde 

While it might not ease your specific need, I have compiled a list of public available Activegate extensions:

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Dynatrace-tips/Activegate-Extensions/m-p/113705

It's interesting sometimes to learn by example 🙂

Antonio Sousa

Hello @AntonioSousa & @Mike_L ,

I have got a few questions about metrics ingestion and charting for dashboards.

Give the sample data heading:

"date_time started" | "date_time ended" | "metric_data"

How do I ingest this as a single data point?

The timeframe selector is tied to the date and time the metric was ingested, but how do I create a visualisation based on the other values I have, Essentially changing the axis, if they can be ingested as a single data point?

What has dimension got to do with these?

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Maybe pass in a second metric called "response time" or so that's the difference between started and ended?

Mike

Yes, I also do it this way.

Antonio Sousa

Thanks.

I will test all my theories. Hopefully, it works.  

motdde
Participant

Thanks, Anthonio.

I found the list earlier, and it has been helpful. 

Featured Posts