cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB2 Extension ActiveGate consuming high CPU and Memory

AK
Pro

Hello Folks,

Just wanted to know how DB2 extension fetches a data.

Recently, we faced high CPU and Memory utilization on ActiveGate which is running DB2 extension.

I observed multiple instances (approx. 80-90) of "com.dynatrace.jdbc.connector.main" process which is I guess responsible for fetching DB2 metrics. After killing those instances, CPU and Memory back to normal.

Does DB2 extension creates process instance for each endpoint assigned to ActiveGate or it should be only one instance?

Regards,

AK

7 REPLIES 7

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

The extension creates one JVM for each endpoint. I'd recommend sticking to 30 or so endpoints on one ActiveGate.

The new DB2 extension which is scheduled for later this month or the beginning of March resolves this by using just a single JVM.

Mike

I am waiting for this new extension version!!!

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

We had an internal demo of it a couple of weeks ago, it's looking really good!

Mike

@Mike_L, thanks for the useful information. I will be waiting for this new extension to come.

But for this new extension will it possible to assign at least 60-70 endpoints? What would be the cap? any idea.

Regards,

AK

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

60-70 endpoints on AG will be fine with the new extension. Anything up to 100 is fine, in the future it'll be even more.

Mike

@Mike_L one more thing to highlight, does it create a issue if we have OneAgent also on extension AG, because we have OA on that it to do self monitoring and as per the support we should not monitor such extension AG hosts with OneAgent.

It would be great if you share some thought on this.

Regards,

AK

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

A lot of customers use OA's on AG's without any problem at all. We also recommend it sometimes to investigate support issues.

Mike

Featured Posts