Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about IBM MQ extension

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

What is the purpose of browse and put?

Does it open an MQ channel and keep it open, or does it do connect/disconnect all the time?

Can we monitor the MQ logs?

Regards,

Babar

8 REPLIES 8

diego_morales
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Babar,

• "Put" is needed because when it sends a PCF command (INQUIRE or RESET Q STATS for example), it places messages in COMMAND and AUDIT queues.
  • "Browse" because some messages can be left in queues during MQGET. However, I do not believe this one is necessary.
  • The MQ plugin opens and closes the connection each time it polls, so every minute.
  • You cannot monitor MQ logs with the MQ plugin. The OneAgent can already do this.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Diego

Hello @Diego M.

Thank you for providing me the requested information.

Maybe, I will come back with a few more questions, or to ask for more clarification after discussing it with the IBM MQ expert.

Right now, the only question coming from the top of my mind that our 80+% infrastructure based on SUN Solaris, and log monitoring not available at the moment.

Regards,

Babar

In this case, perhaps a custom plugin that scrubs this data might be viable for you. If possible, you could develop it using the plugin SDK or have Dynatrace develop it. If the latter, please contact your account manager so that this effort can be scoped.

Thanks,

Diego

Hello @Diego M.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Can you please check internally, if someone already has the custom plugin for the same purpose?

Regards,

Babar

Hey @Babar Q. Log Monitoring Product Manager. We plan to deliver more generic log ingest later this year (Q2 this calendar year) so our customers can easily ship log data with standard drivers (fluentd, syslog etc.), cloud service logs and through API. I know that this is not an answer for your current needs but wanted to give you perspective on upcoming enhancements.

Hello @Michal D.

Thank you for sharing the valuable information.

Regards,

Babar

Hello @Diego M.

Is it possible to say a list of AUDIT queues ?

Hi Mikhail,

I'm not an MQ expert by any means, but from what I understand, the audit queues are referred to auditing configuration changes or authentication failures or command failures for example. These are configured on your queue manager depending on what sort of events you want to create an audit trail for. Some of them for example are SYSTEM.ADMIN.CONFIG.EVENT, SYSTEM.ADMIN.COMMAND.EVENT, SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT, SYSTEM.ADMIN.CHANNEL.EVENT.

Just to clarify, the plugin does not place anything directly in these queues. This is all handled by MQ automatically. However, the user you are using to connect may want to write to these on the MQ server side because MQ does other admin tasks when executing PCF commands, so that's why.

Thanks,

Diego

Featured Posts