cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder monitoring in Dynatrace

rajdeepan03
Contributor

Hi,

is there any way to perform the folder monitoring using Dynatrace OneAgent and what are the different ways of achieving it?

Thanks,

Deepan

16 REPLIES 16

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

What we did is we have scheduled a cron job on OS every 1 hour to submit a metric via REST API or OA ingest interface with "1" or "0" values if a folder/file we wanted to be is there.

See details:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/metrics/metric-ingestion/ingestion-metho...

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Depending on what you need, there is an option to use a oneagent extension for monitoring files.  We use an extension that checks:

• number of files matching one of configured file wildcard patterns
  • file modification time for files matching wildcard patterns

And the extension creates a Dynatrace problem opening event when the number of files is higher than expected or a file has not been modified in a defined period.

If you are interested, please tag me in this thread and I'll be happy to provide it.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi Julius_Loman,

Thank you for the response, this would really help and kindly provide me the one agent extension for the same.

Regards,

Deepan

@Julius_Loman

Could you please help me with the extension for the folder monitoring.

Thanks,

Deepan

I'd appreciate that as well 🙂

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

@Julius_Lomanthank you. Love to know more information on this. Thanks.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hey @DanielS / @Radoslaw_Szulgo  / @rajdeepan03 

you can find the extension including code here:
https://github.com/TEMPEST-a-s/Dynatrace-OneAgent-File-Change-Extension 

To use it, just download the file named custom.python.filechange.zip from the release and upload it in your Dynatrace environment and deploy it to OneAgents where required.

I think it's quite straightforward to configure, but nevertheless here is a screenshot of the configuration:

Julius_Loman_1-1644359941318.png

You can add any number of wildcard patterns and you can also modify the problem even text and title message and use placeholders.

This is an example of problem created when old files are found:

Julius_Loman_0-1644359821237.png

Hope this helps someone 😀 

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Julius_Loman

Thank you very much and It worked.

rajdeepan03_0-1644423822258.png

Regards,

Deepan 

Hello Deepan, 

An idiot question from my part

how can I specify that the plugin should run on specific host, and how to show the result on a specific dashboard 

thanks in advance for your help 

Regards 

Mahdi

Activate the latest version from the in-product hub. It auto distributes itself to hosts based on tags/host groups/management zones and such. It also has a wizard look instead of the previous format.

Mike

Hello dear mike, 

I tried it, but I had an error in each time, I used it on an amazon Linux instance, I gave all the necessary rights on the folder, but no changes always the same error : as shown bellow Capture d’écran 2023-05-14 à 22.32.07.pngCapture d’écran 2023-05-14 à 22.29.39.png

Could you create a support ticket please?

Many thanks

hello, 
Sure, here it is : 
https://one.dynatrace.com/hc/en-us/requests/168561

regards

Mahdi2023
Visitor

In order to resolve the error problem, I just installed the package (libxcrypt-compat) in linux 

as I have an error : while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot open shared object.

MarwanC
Guide

Thank you for the info about this extension. We running the latest version of DT

I appreciate if someone can elaborate hoe to install this extension please and make available to a group of servers only

"To use it, just download the file named custom.python.filechange.zip from the release and upload it in your Dynatrace environment and deploy it to OneAgents where required."

Thank Julius_Loman for your reply.

Kind Regards

Marwan...

The file system monitor extension in the in-product hub can maybe resolve the use case without manually distributing anything. You can find the instructions on how to use it by searching for the extension in your tenant.

Mike

Featured Posts