cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to map the parameter to SQL DB Extension Query

susmita_k
Guide

I want to pass parameter (Different for different monitoring configuration) to my extension queries. How do I achieve that?

5 REPLIES 5

susmita_k
Guide

I have used this in my yaml file to declare the variable and referenced this way :

vars:
  - id: ownerFilter
    displayName: Filter
    type: text
subgroups:
      - subgroup: DB Invalid Object Count
        featureSet: DB Invalid Object Count
        ingest: metrics
        query: >
          select
          count(*) as invalid_object_cnt
          from dba_objects
          where var:ownerFilter

But its not working, its not assigning the variable in the where clause. Could anyone please help on how do I assign the variable to the query ? Thanks in advance.

Due to security risks you cannot alter the query from the UI, you'd have to create different queries for the different options. You could toggle on/off queries based on feature sets for example.

Mike

So in which scenario we use the variable option for SQL extension ? Documentation is not clear on how to use the variable..

It can for example be used to add a dimension to the metrics being sent to Dynatrace, maybe with team name or cost center or something similar.

Mike

So I am now trying to expose the column as a dimension and filter, but it didnt work either.

vars:
  - id: ownerFilter
    displayName: Filter
    type: text
      - subgroup: DB Invalid Object Count
        featureSet: DB Invalid Object Count
        ingest: metrics
        query: >
          select
          count(*) as invalid_object_cnt,
          owner
          from dba_objects
          where status<>'VALID'
          group by owner
        metrics:
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.sql-oracle.db_invalid_object                      
            value: col:invalid_object_cnt
            type: gauge
        dimensions:
          - key: owner
            value: col:owner
            filter: var:ownerFilter

I'm expecting it will ingest the metrics only when the owner = 'Variable Value', but thats not happening. Any suggestion?

Featured Posts