cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneAgent POC for IBM MQ

nil1727
Visitor

All,

I am trying to explore Dynatrace for IBM MQ 9.2.0.2/3 as per instructions mentioned on below page but having few queries.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/technology-support/dynatrace-extensions/dynatrace-extension-r... 

1. Where I need to configure plugin for IBM MQ. Is that on Dynatrace server or on MQ server?

2. Is there any document on how MQ plugin works. What is frequency to pull metrics?

11 REPLIES 11

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @nil1727 ,

Based on the documentation there are two types of MQ extesnion.

1. One agent MQ extension, in this case you need to install oneagent to the MQ server

2. Active gate MQ extension, in this case you do not need to install oneagent to the MQ server

Both cases you need an MQ user / pw. 

Configuration can be done on the Dynatrace GUI for the oneagent vesrion or the Active gate version too.

I guess the frequency is one min.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső

Certified Dynatrace Professional

Thanks @Mizso for the details.

I am going with OneAgent plugin, do we have any document on used case?

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @nil1727 

@Mike_L 's suggestion is correct regarding the documnetation. Beside the documentation I always check the Dynatrace Hub information also on the public net and inside on the GUI about the extensions.

Best regards,

Mizső

Would be interesting to hear some hands-on experience if someone has implemented both methods. I've only used the AG one. I suppose the collected data is anyway 100 % identical in both cases? Would a guideline then be that if you anyway have OneAgent installed on the queue manager servers, it's best to use that one - otherwise maybe use the remote extension..? Any pros and cons depending on the selected monitoring method?

Hi @kalle_lahtinen,

I' ve  only used oneagent extension. I would like to use in a different environmnet an AG version. I hope I will have chance to compare them. But to be honest I do not expect to much differnece.

In my opinion in some cases the infra quys do not allow to install agents on middleware and db servers (fear from any overhead) , so in these cases the only option is the AG extensions.

Best regards,

Mizső  

diego_morales
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi @kalle_lahtinen ,

They both gather the same metrics. The difference is where you find those metrics on Dynatrace.

OneAgent extension attaches its metrics to the process detected by the OneAgent.
ActiveGate extension attaches its metrics to a custom device it creates (each queue manager becomes a custom device).
If you already have a OneAgent on the MQ server, it makes sense to opt for the OneAgent version of the extension as long as it is on an OS that supports the extension framework to load it. If it's a Windows/Linux MQ then it's fine.

If MQ is running on other OSs, or you don't have access to those hosts then go for the ActiveGate version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Diego

Thanks Diego! That's a good summary 🙂

Hi All,

I have one problem with the oneagent MQ extension. I have not had time to raiesed a ticket.

When I switched on this option I did not reveive data anymore, after switch off problem dissapeared.

Mizs_0-1670945521807.png

Best regards,

Mizső

Hi @Mizső ,

Update the extension. That's resolved in a recent version. 

Thanks,

Diego

Thanks @diego_morales ,

I am going to test with the clinet.

Best regards,

Mizső

Featured Posts