I'm using the SaaS trial and I've developed a OneAgent extension with Python. It was working great and I was getting metrics from my extension and I created a dashboard showing my data. But then overnight the extension stopped working. First stats simply stopped being collected and I couldn't see an error anywhere. So I restarted the service that the extension is linked to, no difference, restarted the OneAgent service, no difference, restarted the monitored server and then I got an warning. When I go to Settings | Monitored Technologies | Custom Extensions and click on my extension, there is a warning saying "This technology was not detected in your environment". What can I do to resolve this problem? The process group that the extension attaches to is definitely running so I don't see what this means. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Could you share the plugin.json file as well as a screenshot of the process group instance in Dynatrace with the 'properties and tags' section expanded? The latter should answer two questions related to why Dynatrace might not think the technology is there.
This line here in plugin.json says the plugin will only be active when a python process is detected on the host:
"technologies": [ "PYTHON" ],
Maybe you had the demo app or some other python process running during development that no longer is.
Regardless, the technology you'd want to include in there would be DOTNET_REMOTING. I pulled that from the table of supported entries for technology in the docs in the api sdk.
So my thinking is it will be 'active' if you change that line in plugin.json to:
"technologies": [ "DOTNET_REMOTING" ],
Hope that helps,
Thanks for the reply. I tried that with the same results. You're right about having the demo app running before and not anymore though so I was optimistic about the fix. I tried rebooting the monitored server after uploading the changed plugin but still no dice, same warning message and no metrics collected.
Yes I did for sure. I'm developing the plugin on the monitored server, so it's already there. And I uploaded using the cli and the new version shows in the DynaTrace GUI. I decided to go back a step. I changed the technology back to Python and ran the demo app. It's working when I do that. I don't know why the DOTNET_REMOTING isn't working.
Personally I would try using the WINDOWS_SYSTEM technology in case there is something odd going on with the remoting one. With WINDOWS_SYSTEM it should always be active when it's on a windows host.