cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMI Remote Windows Extension 2.0 query problem

Manosirigosdyn7
Observer

Hello everyone,

We have about 48 hosts monitored remotely by the Remote Windows Host Monitoring Extension. And they bring some queries per minute. These queries though change all the time. Sometimes they are under 20 , other times over 20 queries per minute......initially we wanted to put them all in 1 configuration.

I've read the documentation on WMI queries though (https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/extensions-concepts) that says : " Currently, the limit is 100 queries. For example, if your extension uses 5 queries, configuring more than 20 devices may cause performance issues and gaps in the monitoring data"

So i tried to separate them into 10 configurations that have 5 hosts each.....and some of them turned error, had gap in the data etc.....when i put them alone though as 1 host per configuration they are back to normal..... 

Does anyone have any ideas or any implementation to suggest us? This is a wmi (query limit) problem only after all....all the other extensions are ok when you put them all in 1 config.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Manosirigosdyn7,

There is a post in the Community that describes what you are seeing. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find it in these few minutes; I'll try again later if it doesn't come up in the mean time.

From what I recall of that post, and also personal experience, is that WMI is pretty heavy stuff, and seems to have some limitations when some of the queries misbehave, like timeouting. From what I recall, someone had figured out that it was stuck at Windows OS level...

BTW, check your AG dsfm metrics to see if your AG is not scarce on some resource...

Antonio Sousa

Antonio is spot on. It's very heavy to execute WMI and it doesn't scale that well due to the WMI protocol itself. When spreading them out over 10 configurations, did you put that into an AG group with 10 or so ActiveGates? If you point that to a single AG you'll still get performance issues and gaps.

Mike

i  put each of the 10 configurations into an AG group of 2 activegates- and i still had performance issues. Do you think we need more? i think having 10 AG for 10 configs is too much though

2 might be too little. You can always open a support case and let the team look into that the logs state.

Mike

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Manosirigosdyn7,

I found out the reference I was referring to. Please read @jegron comments in the following thread:
https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Extensions/Changing-the-default-size-of-100-devices-for-extension...

Antonio Sousa

Thanks Antonio i'll check it out!

Featured Posts