cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track host units / host hours as per license?

luc_cappaert
Newcomer

Our Saas license mentions "X Host Units for one year" --- We use DT Saas (mainly) to monitor windows hosts running .Net processes.

My understanding is that based on the amount of memory in het servers, this consumes (part of) a "Host Unit".

The "Usage Details" in the "my account" screen shows *some* information, but I am not sure how to interprete the graph and figures mentioned.

How can I know how many "host units" are currently being consumed? How do I know if our license allows for continuous monitoring of the current set of servers until license renewal due somewhere next year? Note that the oneagent has not been running on all our servers at all times, and the amount of memory in each host has not been constant. (some have been upgraded with extra memory at some point in time)

8 REPLIES 8

chris_geebelen
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Luc,

Please go to account settings. In account settings you will see the usage summary for host unit hours and also a button "view usage details".

When you click that button you will see a graph displaying the host unit and session usage in time. In the filter you can specify one tenant.

Kind regards,

Chris

luc_cappaert
Newcomer

Chris, thanks for your answer.

However, it is unclear to me how these figures relate to what we have licensed. We have x "host units" for 1 year; but how does this relate to the "host unit hours" as shown in the interface? Can I multiply our x "host units" by 24 (hours in a day) and 365 (days in a year) for the total allowance for "host unit hours" in the 1-year-period? ("host unit hours" seems to be the counter used in the graphs, while "host units" is the counter used in the license agreement)

Keep in mind that the number of agents running on our hosts is not constant; and the amount of memory (wich is used as a weight factor in the calculations) assigned to each server is also not constant.

I would like to predict if we will be in compliance with what is licensed at the end of the 1-year period described in the license.

How can I get this information?

gerald_
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi @Luc C.

If your host has 16 GB RAM, it's equivalent to 1 host unit. If it has 32 GB RAM, it's 2 host units. With each additional 16 GB the host unit is incremented.

Your calculation is correct. If your host (which consumes 1 host unit) is running 24 hours a day and 365 days a year you consume 8 760 host unit hours for this particular host.

We do not have a prediction in place if your current license is sufficient.

Let me know if you need more details!

Gerald

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

You can also use the following: https://dynatrace.github.io/BizOpsConfigurator/#HUreport

-Chad

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @ChadTurner 

What is required to use the bizOps.

I'm using Managed, but no way to connect BizOps.

Thanks for your help

Sharing Knowledge

ryan_ott
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hello,

You should be able to connect to BizOps Configurator using the link Chad provided. You just need to use your specific Managed URL with the necessary API token value.

An example of a Dynatrace Managed URL:

https://{your-domain}/e/{your-environment-id}/

ACE Consultant, Dynatrace Services
Dynatrace Certified Professional

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello Ryan

I put the right informations but blocked.

Post Updated: It's OK now, the informations were correct, the URL was wrong, using the public URL is mandatory.

Sharing Knowledge

ryan_ott
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

I wonder if your API token has proper permissions, is there an error message that is provided when you try to connect?

ACE Consultant, Dynatrace Services
Dynatrace Certified Professional

Featured Posts