Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance Windows - Extend to disable individual detection and alerts

william_chan
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hi team,

Currently for maintenance windows, we are only able to disable problem detection and alerts entirely, I think it would be helpful if there was a way to disable detection and alerts for particular problems.

My customer is receiving a CPU saturation alert every day because of nightly CPU spikes on the host, and they were looking for a way to manage these alerts without disabling detection of other problems during this time period. The CPU saturation always occurs at midnight and lasts approximately 80 minutes, the current options we have are configuring maintenance windows to disable problem detection and alerts overall, or configuring the alerting profile to negate CPU saturation, however this does not have a time frame and would affect the whole alerting profile at all times. Another solution would be to configure the resource alerts in alerting profiles to the duration of CPU spike, but again this will change it to affect the host at all times, when we really only want it to happen at midnight. The solution that would make the most sense would be maintenance windows because of its recurrence, but they do not want to disable other problem detection and alerts during this time.

2 REPLIES 2

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @william_chan please check if you have Frequent issue detection enabled for infraestructure:

DanielS_0-1678393449243.png

you are describing a frequent issue. When the same problem is detected multiple times within these periods, Dynatrace evaluates the problem based on the actual severity of a threshold breach combined with the duration of the problem. It then compares the severities and durations of past problem alerts on the same entity and only alerts if the severity of the problem has increased.

Other options assuming your client knows the root cause of the CPU spikes, you can create a cronjob to disable CPU Saturation through the settings objects API on that host and after 80 minutes enable it.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

william_chan
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hi @DanielS

Frequent issue detection is on, I must've missed it the first time when I was looking at the host, but it was what we needed. Thank you for the help.

Featured Posts