cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process group availability

kobkob
Participant

How can I create a metric on data explorer for process group availabilty spliting by process group?

7 REPLIES 7

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

hello @kobkob you can use builtin:pgi.availability

DanielS_0-1714487301027.png

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

Hi @DanielS thanks for your response.

I used it, but its not possible to split it by process group, but only by process.

In the end I want to monitor the cluster. For example if I have a service with 2 instances and 1 of them is down, I want to see 50% availability.

Thanks

Understood, do you have enabled process group availability monitoring?

I leave you the link https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/process-group-alerting 

Yes, it's enabled.

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

This is not correct.

The process is not available but the process Group is available because the second one is handling the load.

I suggest you to split the Graph by process (and filter if needed), with this way you can know if the process i with 0% availability or not.

Malaik_0-1714558331286.png

Sharing Knowledge

PierreGutierrez
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi @kobkob 
I think its a great idea of Malaik  and DanielS
PierreGutierrez_1-1715267926360.png

Alternative 1 : in that way you can use this Metric Selector 

builtin:pgi.availability:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.process_group_instance",entitySelector("type(process_group_instance),fromRelationship.isInstanceOf(type(PROCESS_GROUP),entityName.equals(~"bin/npm-cli.js (npm) ms-insurance-bs-*~"))"))))):splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(20)

I have found another metric that can be much more useful for you, however it is based on the count of instances (Not exactly on their availability %). In my personal opinion I think this metric is more useful, the reason is because the "Process group availability monitoring" rules are also based on the number of Processes or process instances to alert.

The great thing about this metric is that it has the Splt by "Process Group".

Alternative 2 :   Use the metric "Process count per process group"   ( builtin:tech.generic.count )

PierreGutierrez_2-1715268649905.png

PierreGutierrez_3-1715268714993.png

builtin:tech.generic.count:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.process_group",entitySelector("type(process_group),entityName.equals(~"ms-bff-crm~")"))))):splitBy("dt.entity.process_group"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(20)

I'm sure this will be very helpful 💪😊

Pierre Gutierrez - LATAM ACE Consultant - Loving Cats! Loving Technology !

Featured Posts