cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove OneAgent from Windows - Reboot necessary?

Theodore_x86
Guide

Hello.

I want to remove the OneAgent from a couple of Windows Servers. Reading the documentation:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-oneagent/installation-and-o...

After all OneAgent files have been removed from your system, you'll need to reboot your machine to remove the agent libraries from memory.

It is not clear whether the reboot is needed only in the "control panel" option. Do we also need a reboot in the command line - based procedure? Also what are the "agent libraries from memory exactly"? I suppose they are not the registries installed in regedit...

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

When you uninstall OneAgent, if there are agents running in a .Net application/site, for instance, they will not be removed. You would have to restart the .Net application/site for the agent to go. That's what I believe "remove the agent libraries from memory. means. I would say that you should be able to do it without a reboot, or at least immediately.

Antonio Sousa

Thank you Antonio. That is my suspision also. However, it is important to clarify why the documentation mentions rebooting the whole server.

BR

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Theodore_x86,

If you are experiencing difficulties with this one, or for some reason might not be able to do the reboot, you would probably better put in a Support Ticket.

Antonio Sousa

Yes I will do proactively. Thanks again.

rgarzon1
Mentor

Hi Theodore

although it is true that in the documentation it says to restart the whole server, it is also valid to restart the processes separately without the need to completely restart the server. it works in 99.99% of the cases or at least it has been for me. i leave you an image of what at some point we reviewed with a client some time ago of how the restarts worked for us.

fuelled by coffee and curiosity.

Thanks for the feedback!

Featured Posts