cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Divide a mobile application into sections

monitoraggiodyn
Participant

Hi all!

Does someone know if it is possible to divide a mobile application into smaller sections?

I mean, let's say I have a mobile bank application that has 3 subsections:

• credit cards
  • loans
  • investments

I want to monitor these 3 subsections as 3 different applications with Dynatrace, does anyone know if is it possible and how can I achieve my goal? 

Thank you very much!

5 REPLIES 5

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello @monitoraggiodyn 

I have never tried myself for the mobile application but it is doable and recommended for web applications (might be the same applies on the mobile application as well). Separating applications based on domains works best as Dynatrace cannot correlate user actions across domains with specific user sessions. 

Please have a look at the below link for more insight:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/real-user-monitoring/setup-and-configura...

There is also an additional option (if I am not wrong, it should be applied on the hybrid application as well together with contextual information for your user actions and other entities.

Please have a look at the below link for more insight:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/real-user-monitoring/setup-and-configura...

Regards,

Babar

I think this only works for OneAgent, not for Agentless RUM or mobile apps.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hi @monitoraggiodyn ,

for Mobile Applications, this is not possible to split them across applications and it goes against the concepts Dynatrace has. For your use case, I can think of two different approaches:

The first approach is to introduce user action property in your mobile app, which will be the section name. You need to pass this value from the mobile application using the reportValue() SDK method and define the user action property in the Mobile Application in Dynatrace. Then you can easily separate your actions by filtering on the user action property.

The second approach is to establish user action naming for your actions, so you can separate them and do the segmentation when analyzing.

For example - all your actions in the credit card area will have the name prefixed - e.g.:

• Credit cards / list
  • Credit cards / issue new card
  • Credit cards / card transactions

Although are some options within the Mobile Application Settings to rename or modify mobile user actions, in general, you will need to set them properly from the mobile application itself (at build time).

Depending on your app, I'd probably recommend using the first approach.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi @monitoraggiodyn, I follow your question and especially the answers with great interest. We have a similar case but the with (manually inserted JStag) Agentless RUM.

Customer with a few application platforms for which the tag manager in use can not set a tag per section, or sub-application if you will. It even concerns different domains.

If domain declared as indicated by Babar, it will not work, hoeveel in the application domains section you’ll see it marked as ‘transferring’.

@Julius_Loman I expect the same applies to Agentless RUM, as well as your suggested approach. But shouldn’t it be possible for Agentless RUM to work as automatic inserted tag, that based one tag you can split out by domains/sections, still in line with Dynatrace concepts. Feature Request?

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

@fstekelenburg for Web Applications you have a concept of Page Groups which I believe is the way you should take. You can also override your naming of page groups by calling the dtrum API.

You can also use the User Actions Properties in the same way as I described for the mobile apps.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts