cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering specific URLs in Android RUM

pietro
Participant

I would like to filter specific requests that are independent of user actions like keep-alives and external analytics tools.

Currently any web-request happening after an action extends the length of the action even though a specific page of the application has already loaded for the user.

I found this for iOS Solved: How to disable monitoring on particular domain or url - Dynatrace Community I understand how to use it but I feel the documentation should have some examples.

For Android I was unable to find a similar setting to exclude only some URLs from RUM data.

Is there any reference on the documentation I missed?

5 REPLIES 5

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

As far as I know, you are right and Android Gradle Plugin does not (yet) have this feature. Perhaps @paul_kapeller or @Patrick_H can provide more information.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thomas_Wirth1
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I can confirm that a similar option is not available for the Dynatrace Android Gradle plugin.

You could deactivate monitoring for the external analysis tool via the exclude feature. Therefore you have to determine the main package(s) of this library and specify it in the plugin configuration. Then the plugin will skip these classes in the instrumentation step.

@Thomas_Wirth1 would this really apply also to network requests only? So for example if an autogenerated user action has attached REST calls and also includes requests to 3rd party services such as Crashlytics - can I exclude the crashlytics requests just be excluding the Crashlytics classes?

Never tried it, but until now I thought the exclude feature applies to instrumentation only (capturing autogenerated user actions) and network requests are captured by the webrequest sensor level.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

The exclude rules are applied to all auto-instrumentation features, including web request monitoring. The main goal of this feature is to customize instrumentation to avoid problems with invalid or unsupported class files. As side effect, it can also be used to filter monitoring data.

For features like web request monitoring, this can be a little bit more tricky, because you have to determine in which package/classes the web request are generated and executed. Based on your example, you would have to determine if the web requests are executed within the Crashlytics library or its transitive dependencies.

Thank you,

I'll try this approach as soon as possible.

Featured Posts