cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to tag user sessions based on a defined attribute found in the user-agent?

rsmsdk
Helper

Hi

I'm requested to provide some user session reporting based on data found in the user-agent, and I was wondering if there is a feature to extract an attribute from user sessions, and tag the individual session to provide a foundation for the requested reporting?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

5 REPLIES 5

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Yes you can. The first step is you'll need to define a request attribute in your Settings>Server-side service monitoring> Request Attributes. Then add in a new attribute and define out the criteria. For example you could pull out IP, o define the domian via the URL etc... 

Once that is completed and the Attribute is defined and saved, navigate to your desired front end application in Dynatrace, Click Edit> Capturing> Usertag and select Add user tag rule, then select the request attribute function. 

Very similar to this, but you'll be looking at the user tag segment at the end: https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Product-ideas/Ability-to-sort-by-Domain-from-User-Sessions/idi-p/... 

-Chad

Hi Chad

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I managed to create a working request attribute, but I already have a user tag configured for the specific applications user session, and I dont want to overwrite it with the user-agent info. Im currently trying to make it work as a user-session property. 

Best regards

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Perfect, that link show you how to add it as a session property. Also Tags are based on a priority level. So if you add that RA in as the second line item, when your first tag rule isn't applicable, it will default to the second rule and apply it if applicable 

-Chad

It worked! User sessions are tagged with the user-agent request attribute now - thank you so much.

You are very welcome! happy to help 🙂 

-Chad

Featured Posts