I was checking the DEM usage pattern in the License Overview and noticed that the actual hours don't really match.
Eg, I selected today and hourly resolution then the graph shows DEM usage for future hours. Also, the activities normally occur during the business hours, but it shows a lot of them actually starts at night.
I wonder if the local time is not properly recognised. The current local time is 15:26.
Is there a way to correct this?
I also checked the graph using "Session count - billed and unbilled - without Session Replay [web]" in Data Explorer and it looks reasonable.
That's very interesting, I cant get the issue to duplicate here in my environment. Once thing I do see though on my wide screen is that if I select today, I also see historical data as well. So I'm curious if what you are seeing actually is the last day and not into the current day. Can you slide the graph?
Hi @ChadTurner, thank you for the reply.
I don't see a way to slide the graph. It shows only a window of 24 hours per hour. Also, I can see the today's pattern is different from the yesterday's one.
If someone checks the graph on a day isn't it common to see historical data for the selected day because the timeline starts at midnight.
Comparing the usage details and the query in Data Explorer gives me the impression that the usage details grabs data using GMT and maps it as if it is from the local time.
I got it to recreate the issue. It appears that the system is providing yo with a forecasted usage from the date you selected and on. My Time zone is NYC - Eastern Central Time - 7:30am 10/27. That ever time zone the graph is working off of, it cant be 2 days ahead of my time zone. So it must be a forecasted model
@ChadTurner, thank you for looking into this further. It's interesting to see your screen-shot shows future dates, which I cannot replicate it.
I compared the DEM usage yesterday (Sunday) as attached. One from Data Explorer and the other one is from the License usage detail screen. As you can see the matching pattern in two graphs, but the reported hours are very different. From the workday activities I think Data Explorer is more reasonable because most activities occur during the daytime. My timezone is GMT+9.
Can you replicate the same behaviour?
I think it has to do with the charting and the type of session. Sessions are unique as they are billed once the session concludes? The UI data explorer is lookin at live/closed sessions. And maybe there is a delay it the committing of the usage in terms of the license?
Can you hover over the Account Billing time series and confirm the time stamps on the values? I want to be 100% sure of the date and time it has recorded values.
@ChadTurner, I checked the timestamp as attached. Interestingly, the date is 28th of October although the searching timeframe is 29th of October. Both bars showed the same date and no information about the time.
Also check in the data (e.g. PurePath) whether you also have the wrong time.
@radek_jasinski, thank you for the information. My laptop shows the correct GMT+9 timezone. If the Dynatrace interface always uses a timezone, shouldn't it be applied to both the license usage details and Data Explorer screens?
I don't have an example of PurePath I can try to check at the moment.
I've checked it now on my environment and I have the same symptom as you. We are on 31.10, and I have the last license utilization data from 30.10. It looks like the system is expecting and counting licenses for the completed day (whether you select daily or hourly).
However, this does not explain the time offset you presented.
I don't know if the best solution wouldn't be to ask Dyantrace One.
this would be a great question for question for Dynatrace. I'm curious if it has something to do with the ending of sessions and the true "billage" as live sessions are going to be estimated and not solidified until sessions conclude.
But still, we would need Dynatrace Corporate to tell us exactly the logic behind the accounts page with the billage/usage.