cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide other supported browsers for Synthetic monitor

siddhi_parkar
Observer

Hi Team

For some reason, chrome has been blocked from all servers including Activegate servers and browser monitors not working in our environment. Now onwards MS edge chromium is in use. Could you please test and let us know if we can create synthetic monitors using the MS Edge browser? Also, let us know if any alternative is available other than chrome browser.

8 REPLIES 8

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

You can make a Synthetic via the Edge browser. Just open up Dynatrace in Edge and go thorough the motions of creating a synthetic browser via edge and install the plugin 🙂 

-Chad

As Chad says, it's possible to create a script with Edge.

But since you mention Activegate, I might assume that you have private Synthetic locations. In that case, I believe there is not support for it yet.

Antonio Sousa

@AntonioSousa  This function works for Public and Private locations

-Chad

@ChadTurner 

I really didn't express myself in the best way. And now I'm noticing that I was trying to reply to @siddhi_parkar , but replied to your comment instead 😥

The Edge browser can be used to create the scripts. But what I was referring to was the browser that runs 24/7 on an Activegate. To my knowledge, that does not support the Edge browser. So, if @siddhi_parkar is using a Synthetic private location, he might be able to script with Edge, but not be able to run the monitoring 24/7. In the public locations, I'm also pretty sure that Edge is also not supported.

Antonio Sousa

@AntonioSousa We have tested and verified synthetics on an Application via Chrome and Via Edge. It all comes down to the Browser you use for the synthetic recorder. Edge and Chrome is supported. 

-Chad

Actually, only Chrome is currently supported for the Synthetic Recorder (see https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/synthetic-monitoring#supported-browsers).
I hear it still works in Edge in most cases, though...

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi, @siddhi_parkar !

Maybe an interesting approach is the "User Agent" customization, on the Synthethic Monitor's settings!
It's kind of a simple workaround, but maybe just enough to suit your needs!

In that case, you will just have to open up Microsoft Edge Developer Tools, manually access the page you are trying to monitor, and copy the User-Agent that Edge is sending. You then copy it into the Monitor's settings so that it sends that header as well!

The setting I'm talking about is accessible on:

Browser monitor:

PedroDeodato_0-1627982944815.png

HTTP monitor (you have to jump into "HTTP Requests", on the left):

PedroDeodato_1-1627983048839.png

Additionaly, the servers you are trying to access might also be verifying User-Agent Client Hints headers .

You can also set them up!

Browser monitor (just scroll down, from the previous screenshot):

PedroDeodato_2-1627983729833.png

HTTP monitor (you have to jump into the "Advanced setup", on the left):

PedroDeodato_3-1627983812481.png

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

siddhi_parkar
Observer

Thank you so much all of you for the update.

Featured Posts