cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Migrating Account Information from Managed to SaaS Using Monaco

Shirai
Helper

We are planning to migrate from Managed to SaaS. Many user accounts and user groups are stored in the Managed cluster. We plan to migrate this information to the SaaS environment using Monaco. Our first step is to download all registered user accounts from the Managed cluster.
I executed the following command.

monaco account download --manifest manifest.yaml

But an error occurred and the download failed.

2024-06-11T13:11:18+09:00       info    Monaco version 2.14.0
2024-06-11T13:11:18+09:00       info    Loading manifest "manifest.yaml". Restrictions: groups=[], environments=[]
2024-06-11T13:11:18+09:00       error   Error: failed to download any resources from accounts [] - not creating download folder
2024-06-11T13:11:18+09:00       error   error logs written to .logs\20240611-131118-errors.log

I think there is a problem with the Manifest.yaml I created, but I cannot solve it and am having trouble.

T.Shirai IIM Corp. Osaka Japan
10 REPLIES 10

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

Maybe SaaS Upgrade Assistant would be easier.

How to effectively upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS 

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

@AntonPineiro  Thank you for your comment. Your comment is certainly correct. However, the target Managed Cluster has not been updated to the latest version, so SaaS Upgrade Assistant cannot be used. For these reasons, I decided to use Monaco.

@Shirai monaco does not support the Dynatrace Managed Cluster Management APIs where the user groups and accounts are stored. So it's not possible to download it. Management of users and groups is different between Managed and SaaS.

You will need to download it manually using Cluster Management APIs and then you can generate the configuration for Monaco to define and update the accounts and groups in SaaS.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

@Julius_Loman 

Thank you for your comment.
I understand that it is not possible to download account information from a managed cluster using Monaco.
I would like to download it using the User management API.
https://docs.dynatrace.com/managed/shortlink/account-api-users

Yes, that's the correct API, just this one is not supported by Monaco.

Hi Shirai,

Be careful because this doc https://docs.dynatrace.com/managed/shortlink/account-api-users is from new APIs in SaaS.

For export the users and groups from managed you have to use this doc (users and groups)

And as Julius says management of users and groups is different between Managed and SaaS.

So be careful because the groups that were in Managed do not match with SaaS groups and also, for the new APIs in Grail the way to authenticate changes; now you have to use the bearer token.

For import the users you have to use this three endpoints to create groups, create users and assing groups to users

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Elena.

@erh_inetum Thank you for your comment.
As you pointed out, the API I provided does not allow me to extract information about Managed clusters. I will try using the API you provided.

By the way, I am wondering why the documentation for this API is included in the Managed documentation.

@Shirai the docs are confusing, still there are parts of the SaaS-only docs which exist in Managed. Feel free to submit improvement (on the bottom of the docs page there is feedback button for this).

Hi Elena-san. @erh_inetum 

The information you provided is very useful for us. Thank you very much.

Featured Posts