cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email / Problem Notifications / Dynatrace Managed

richard_guerra
Advisor

[Dynatrace Managed]

In the Cluster Management Console I have configured a smtp connection with a sender email address, e.g. noreply@mydomain.com [Home -> Settings -> Emails -> SMTP server]

Cluster Management emails come through my smtp service and are received from this sender email address.

In my Environment, there are no settings for sender email address. [Settings -> Integration -> Problem Notifications -> Set up notifications -> Email]

Problem notifications coming through this integration seem to be going out to Dynatrace Mission Control and are received from an external address 'notifications-noreply@dynatrace-managed.com'.

Can we configure integration/email/problem-notifications to use the cluster smtp connection, and use the sender email address configured therein?

4 REPLIES 4

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Not that I am aware of, I'd recommend tossing in a RFE for this tho.

-Chad

richard_guerra
Advisor

I've converted this to an idea.

Here is a better problem statement:

[Dynatrace Managed]

Problem notifications going to an email integration go external through Mission Control, then back to the emails recipients I have set. This raises privacy and confidentiality risks for the information in my notifications.

If the email integration was revised to use a configurable smtp connection, then I could send these problem notifications internally, avoiding any hops outside.

The cluster notifications have configurable smtp connection...

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi I've converted that to the question 🙂

Your expectations are right. If you configure SMTP server for notifications this configuration should be used. So problem notifications should come "from" exactly same address as you configure in CMC.

E-mail notifications will come via Mission Control and "From" address will be converted and enforced to 'notifications-noreply@dynatrace-managed.com' only if the SMTP server cannot be reached (as a fail-back). That needs to be investigate - I'd go with a support case here. If everything is good at your side, then it's a bug in Dynatrace - support case is appreciated here as well 🙂

Hope this helps!

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

richard_guerra
Advisor

Hi Radoslaw - thank-you very much for the advice. You are correct, the problem notification will use the CMC configuration. I ran another test and confirmed this.

It's embarassing now, but I had configured the CMC smtp on our cluster and inadvertently was testing the problem notifications on a separate proof-of-concept system that didn't have the CMC smtp config.

Featured Posts