cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What triggers DNS Records update for dynatrace-managed.com?

mengsuan_koe1
Contributor

I am in the midst of migrating a Dynatrace Managed cluster from on-prem data centre to Azure cloud VM.

I am using "Cluster backup and restore" method as depicted in documentation.

When the restoration completed, DNS entry for the dynatrace-managed URL got updated to Azure VM's IP address.

However after about 3 hours, I had to fall back to using the existing on-prem Dynatrace Managed. Dynatrace services on Azure VM was shut down but DNS records for the dynatrace-managed.com URL stay stuck to the Azure VM's IP.

Eventually I shut down the Azure VM OS itself, and then only DNS records update to the IP where Dynatrace Managed is running at.

I'm pretty curious, what are the triggers for DNS record changes for dynatrace-managed.com? It doesn't require existing on-prem servers to be shutdown to get its IP updated to Azure, but it isn't the same case in reverse.

4 REPLIES 4

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Usually after the restore new cluster nodes should recognize the situation and the domain should be updated automatically if connection to Mission Control is OK.  

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Yeah, I can see that when a cluster node is restored, the DNS for dynatrace-managed.com gets updated promptly. 

I guess my scenario was out-of-the-norm because I had to revert back to the old cluster, and I guess that is when DNS is not switching back to that old cluster promptly.

that's very probable

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts