cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation about cross environment dashboard

luis_mpa
Helper

Hi there.

I would like to see how both the service flow and PurePath look in a cross environment.

I've searched in Dynatrace documentation, but I've only found two blog entries (an out-of-date entry from June 2019 and a very short entry from July 2020).

I need a full capabilities list:

• If the drill-down capability is full in a cross-environment.
  • If an entire service-flow view is possible, or if the service flow is fragmented; the same with the PurePath.
  • If the analysis capabilities takes in account the data of all the subordinate tenants (for instance, the hotspots, diagnostic tools and the problems view); etc.

Where can I get all this information? Can you provide pictures about how does it look and documentation?

We need to know all these in order to design the architecture of tenants (if it is better to split tenants by entity or by region, etc). We have hundreds of projects that interact between them, and an entire view it is key. But they belong to different owners/entities, although the operators are the same.

Thanks a lot.

3 REPLIES 3

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hi,

unfortunately, the interconnection of two environments does look like as described in the blog posts. Thus you won't get:

• complete service flows across environments
  • complete purepaths across environments
  • MDA
  • etc.

I don't believe this will change anytime soon. What you can get:

• navigate from service flow / purepath to the other environment with the context. When analyzing a service flow or a purepath, you have the option to follow the information in the other environment. This will take the context (Dynatrace PurePath IDs) and UI from the other environment will open up with a selection of the exact scope. So basically it's interconnected on the UI level.
  • Cross-environment dashboards - you can use any data from the other environment on a dashboard. 

Things to keep in mind:

• W3C trace context headers are not required for this to work
  • You can't limit the scope for the cross-environment dashboard. As soon as the environments are connected, you can select any data from the other environment (on dashboard only)
  • To follow transactions or data from dashboard you need to have access to the other environment
  • Environments are interconnected on the API. If you are on Managed, you need to specify the Dynatrace UI address, not the Cluster ActiveGate address when connecting those environments.
    The source environment must have access to the remote environment UI address. This might be complicated if the remote is Managed and the source environment is SaaS.
Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

john_leight
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

When systems interact with each other it is typically better to have fewer tenants, not more. Would management zones within the same tenant accomplish what you are trying to do? You can limit access to the data/settings/etc but still track calls from one application/system to another.

luis_mpa
Helper

Thank you both, @john_leight  and @Julius_Loman for your answers.

I'm going to propose an RFE to improve this capability. I understand that in a service flow only can get data from the current tenant.

But I think that it would be great to provide an entire overview of the entire service flow. Maybe a dependency map with only response times and errors. Then, if you want to get specific information, by clicking go to the specific tenant (like currently).

Regards, have you a nice day!

Featured Posts