cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the absolute value of a metric in a graph?

SkipGroot
Frequent Guest

We have enabled NTP monitoring on our systems which provides us with the `builtin:tech.ntp.ntp_offset` metric. This value is the time offset from the actual which can be either positive or negative.

Now the problem is that for either alerting or thresholds in graphs I can only define positive offsets. I can't add an alert or threshold for anything below a certain value. So I'd like to transform the graph to convert any negative values into positive. The absolute value in mathematical terms.

I have tried

• Looking for an absolute function, I don't believe there is any?
  • Neither are the square root or square/exponent functions which could provide this functionality with a formula.
  • Putting a - sign before the metric inverts the values. This allows me to create a normal and inverted graph which works for dashboarding and alerts. But it feels very much like a workaround since everything is duplicated.

Am I missing something here or is this functionality not available (yet)?

(Using Dynatrace Managed version 1.238 if that is relevant)

2 REPLIES 2

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @SkipGroot 

Can the follow threshold setting help you?

Yosi_Neuman_1-1651144421430.png

And for alerting you will need to add 2  rules one for positive (above) and the other for negative (below)

Yosi_Neuman_4-1651144793036.png

Yosi_Neuman_3-1651144730072.png

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

SkipGroot
Frequent Guest

I did not realize the threshold definition colors were applied in the specified order, a weird way of doing it but it works perfectly!

And for the alerts I guess I'll just have to duplicate the metric there. Thanks for the help!

Featured Posts