cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default selecting an option with the Select component

3ene
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

I'm using the Select component for an app, but although an option is selected by default the initial UI still says "choose an option".

See attached screenshots for an additional explanation (screenshot 1 with the default state, screenshot 2 is in the 'clicked' state without any selection).

What I'm looking for: Have 'Emerging Threats' already visible in the drop down when I'm loading the page as it's selected by default.

6 REPLIES 6

christian_barth
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi, 

The Select component provides a prop called defaultSelectedId, which does exactly what you want to achieve.

<Select name="choice" defaultSelectedId={['option3']}>
  <SelectOption id="option1" value="first">
    3coresec
  </SelectOption>
  <SelectOption id="option2">feodotracker</SelectOption>
  <SelectOption id="option3">emergingthreats</SelectOption>
</Select>

3ene
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Thank you, Christian - is there any documentation which types defaultSelectedId allows? I get following error when I'm following your suggestion

3ene_0-1672654541767.png

Just fyi: if I deleted the whole "defaultSelectedId=..." part, it works just fine (source as an attribute for selectedId works). 

christian_barth
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi, 

You can find the documentation of the Props at the very bottom of the page: https://developer.dynatrace.com/reference/design-system/preview/forms/Select/#proptable

In your case, it has to be an Array from type Key, which again is either a string or a number. 

The easiest way to find this out is to check the type definitions directly in your IDE: 

christian_barth_0-1672663920598.png

3ene
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hi,

my selection array (sources) is a string array, but it won't let me set the defaultID:

3ene_3-1672670716824.png

Here is the whole form, maybe I'm making a rookie mistake:

3ene_4-1672670754137.png

I can't find a solution for my problem so far - even if I follow your suggestion with the [].

3ene_5-1672670906150.png

Any other idea what I could try?

React.useState<SelectedKeys | null>(null);

3ene
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Solved it!

It might be worth to look into the data types that are needed for defaultSelectedId, but here is how I could preselect a value:

1.) I run a useEffect that listens to my selection state (source in my example). It also runs when the page is rendered initially.

2.) If that source var is null (ie on the first render of the site), I set it to the desired preselected state, which preselects it. This way I can also query my result set right away.

I don't need defaultSelectedId  at all - my select field looks like this:

3ene_0-1672672370450.png

I don't now for sure, but it seems like defaultSelectedId is tricky to use. I couldn't find the correct type for hours. I tried different casts, putting my array selection into brackets, etc. etc.. Documentation should be improved on that end.

christian_barth
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Another straightforward solution to your problem would be setting the default value of the state variable to your default selection value: 

const [selected, setSelected] = useState<SelectedKeys | null>(["c"]);

Featured Posts