cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the list of metrics applicable to an Entity via Dynatrace API v2

rswarnka
Helper

Hello experts,

I am trying to find the list of metrics applicable to specific entity and entity type such as specific host, application, process, service. `/metrics` api gives list of all metric ids:

https://abc12345.live.dynatrace.com/api/v2/metrics?pageSize=2000

But How do I find only the applicable metrics only to an entity or entity types, to, say `PROCESS_GROUP_INSTANCE` or `PROCESS-ABCDEFGHIJ123456`.

5 REPLIES 5

Enrico_F
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

This is something I struggled with, too. IMO there is currently no straight forward method to achieve that. Might be a good candidate for an RFE.

As a workaround to retrieve all applicable metricId's for a certain entity type I guess one can query the full metric tree using

/api/v2/metrics?pageSize=5000&fields=entityType

and then filter/extract each returned MetricDescriptor object according to the values present in the entityType array.

Hi @Enrico F. Great! I was able to extract the entity - metric. But I am not sure why I only see just 500 entries with `/api/v2/metrics?pageSize=5000&fields=entityType `.

However there are about 2000 metrics via

/api/v2/metrics

What am I missing?

Strange. In my case I'm getting >2000 entries when testing this on our managed instance. Maybe there are some additional restrictions for SaaS tenants on top of the already imposed request throttling but that would be unexpected.

• Environment API 50 requests per minute.

Looks like that could be the case. This works well with Explorer but not working with Python script.

You are making just one API call hence 50 requests per minute limit doesn't count here 🙂
I'm also able to get all metric list and the count is 2019 for me

Featured Posts