cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i group numerous process groups?

JamesD09
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hi Folks

I have a process which runs across thousands of hosts and numerous applications, in total we have 181 process groups for the same process.....is there a way to group all 181 process group instances into a singular process group? 

JamesD09_0-1666774566473.png

1 REPLY 1

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hey, James!

Yes, there is 🙂

Actually, there are multiple ways...

If the processes either have 1) Java system property or 2) Environment variable, in common, you could use "Simple detection rules"!

You just have to go to Settings > Processes and Containers, and on the "Process group detection" section, there it is! 😉

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 10.12.08.png

You can find out more about it here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/process-groups/configuration/pg-detectio...

If they don't share one of those two properties, you could use the next one on that settings page: "Advanced detection rules".

It has A LOT more properties and configurations to chose from, and to use as a merging aspect!

One example that I use:

screencapture-wna59966-live-dynatrace-ui-settings-builtin-process-group-advanced-detection-rule-2022-10-26-10_19_20.png

You can see that I use:

• A string on the "IIS application pool" on "Process group detection" as a filter, so that this rule only applies to my subset of processes
  • the "EXE name" as the "process group extraction" (as it is the same on all processes , they will all be grouped together)
  • The "IIS application pool" on "Process instance extraction", just to facilitate analysis: in this case, if EXE name was "foo" in all processes, but every process was on a different application pool like "bar1", "bar2", "bar3", the new Process Group (merging all previously existent) would be named "foo" and each Process Group Instance would be named "foo (bar1)" or "foo (bar2)". So, you get the merge, but each instance still keeps an easily-readable identifier! BTW, this is optional, so you don't have to set it up if it doesn't help in your case 😉

You can find out more about this here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/process-groups#advanced

Hope this helps!

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

Featured Posts