cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Offset log ingestion trimming by adding another Managed node to cluster. How is the load balanced?

runatyr
Organizer

Hello: We recently have increased the amount of log files processed by our managed cluster of 3 nodes.

We are now receiving messages of log trimming due to log event limits.

I have increased in the admin portal the maximum amount, but this is still being exceeded

My question is, how does Dynatrace distribute the load amongst the hosts in a managed cluster environment?

Does it always distribute it evenly? (If there are 4 servers, each server gets 1/4th of the logs to process?)

Or does it use an algorithm to determine the maximum amount based upon other factors?

I am asking this because the next node I want to add to the managed cluster I would prefer to taylor its capabilities towards whatever methods Dynatrace uses for log ingestion.

Thanks,

Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @runatyr,

Maybe you can find some useful information here:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/managed-requirements#log-mon

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső 

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

The load is distributed evenly among all cluster nodes. If you hit the limit you can either add a node or add more RAM to the cluster nodes. See details here:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/log-monitoring-limits#log-events-per-minute

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Thank you Radoslaw_Szulgo.

This is great information. I have one follow up question.

If I increase the memory on the existing servers, or if I add a cluster member. Is a reboot required of the existing systems to re calcluate the maximum logs ingested? Or is this number recalculated on a regular basis or time interval? (In other words, how does Dynatrace  Managed know to increase the max Log ingested after memory or a cluster node is added>

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @runatyr,

You can refresh the cluster level limit in the management console at any environment after the hw upgrade. This would be the cluster level log ingest capacity. It can be shared between the environments.

In this example there is a cluster with 3 hosts (66GB RAM and 8vcpu / host). Overall cluster level capacity is 26k/min and 20k allocated to this specific environment.

Mizs_0-1666177846250.png

I hope it helps. Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Thank you.

Featured Posts