cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Database Queries

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Custom Database Queries is a new extension "to bring in business data, job processing metrics, database and table statistics, anything that is stored in your Databases" into Dynatrace!

It doesn't seem to be an Extension 2.0 yet, but the corresponding documentation pages about the SQL Data sources are already out there:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/data-sources/sql

Although I have not yet tried it out, it looks very promising!

Antonio Sousa
15 REPLIES 15

Shirai
Helper

I received a question from a customer about this extension. I will try this extension once.

T.Shirai IIM Corp. Osaka Japan

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

One of our client used for Oracle DB monitoring to ingest custom metric into Dynatrace, works fine !

KG

charles_preecs
Participant

We started using this extension recently and its been very helpful.  Hope it is moved to v2 soon.

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

It is a great tool. It opens lot of new opportunities to correlate business and IT performance data in real time. Extension configuration is quite easy. Remoteplugin log is very useful during the configuration on the installed AG. My only probelm is: similar to other AG extensions, in case of issue with the AG there is no data. See attached an example dashbord piece.      

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

echwallah
Advisor

This feature seems very exciting to explore but according to Cluster update 1.246 this has been suspended due to Security concerns. @AntonioSousa is this correct?

Quoting the release notes

"

Infrastructure Monitoring

• Due to security concerns, we have blocked custom SQL extensions using the Extensions 2.0 framework. (APM-378722)"
Dynatrace Certified Associate

echwallah
Advisor

This feature seems very exciting to explore but according to Cluster update 1.246 this has been suspended due to Security concerns. @AntonioSousa is this correct?

Quoting the release notes

"

Infrastructure Monitoring

• Due to security concerns, we have blocked custom SQL extensions using the Extensions 2.0 framework. (APM-378722)"
Dynatrace Certified Associate

@echwallah,

Not quite sure about the Release Notes. I can confirm that my custom queries keep working under 1.246. In any case, the one I'm using is not the extensions v2, so shouldn't be affected.

Antonio Sousa

It does not affect this plugin.  We checked with Dynatrace.  Our plugin is still working also.

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

We use to check sql blocking and chart it in dynatrace.  Love it

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Sanket_Molavade
Participant

Hi all,

We have configured the same but not getting proper output metrics.

can you help me to configure the same?

Actually we want the output of custom query and set alerting on the output of that query.

In data explore we are not able to get the db output matrices.

We have mentioned the configuration and output below,

Sanket_Molavade_0-1669180780567.png

Sanket_Molavade_1-1669180825845.png

OUTPUT:

Sanket_Molavade_0-1669183403370.png

Thank you in advance.

Hello Sanket,

May i know how you achieve this ? I'm dealing with same case so need suggestions. 

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @Sanket_Molavade,

Could you please check my post?

Solved: Re: Generic DB Query Plugin - Dynatrace Community

If you need any further support please let me know.

Best regards,

Mizső

Hello Mizso,

How we can set the alert/threshold on  output of custom query ??

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @Shivanish,

Custom query create a metric: custom.db.query. You can use it to create a metric event.

In data explorer you can create a metric expression by splitting and filtering your custom db query metric by its dimenasions. Here is an example:

Mizs_2-1700606242831.png

Create metric expression by advance mode you can copy it to the metric event creation:

Mizs_3-1700606321814.png

Create a metric event by the metric expression:

Mizs_4-1700606395523.png

Then you need an any alareing profile and a problem notification integration eg, for e-mail alerting.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső

jegron
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Right now, still unable to upload SQL Extension 2.0.

But for your information, Dynatrace support told me 1.257 release will allow again custom SQL query with extension V2 🙂

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

Featured Posts