cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly season root cause analysis

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

This could have happened. Posting it here because it is definitely silly.

Imagine that you have been having problems with some old server in the last months. And that you have a new technician, and that the problems happen when he goes to the data-center (you haven't moved to the cloud, yet). When the problem happens again, you rush to the data center and find out that he is playing his favorite song while working on some nearby servers. You put two and two together, and figure out finally the root cause of the problems that you've been having.

I imagined this up after reading this crazy story at Ars Technica. I immediately recalled one of my favorite techy observability stories, with Brendan Gregg shouting in the data-center many years ago. I have been collecting stories like this, and they are many!

So, what would it take for Davis to discover this one? It has been assigned an official CVE, CVE-2022-38392, so when we have infrastructure security, we might get that one. And then we would have to know the disk's manufacturers, that I believe we don't at the moment. But how would Davis know what music is playing, or who is shouting at the servers?

Antonio Sousa
1 REPLY 1

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

:dynaspin:

-Chad

Featured Posts