cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom DB query updated documentation

screaminscott
Visitor

Is there any more documentation about the Custom db query extension, beyond what can be found here?

https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/detail/custom-database-queries

The information about using the Data Explorer for visualization does not appear to be accurate.

5 REPLIES 5

david_lopes
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

There is no other documentation, can you expand on what is not accurate? We can improve the Hub docs if necessary

screaminscott
Visitor

The documentation screen shot for the data explorer does not match what I see on Dynatrace.

Here is the screenshot from the documentation:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 161757.jpg

Here is the data explorer screen I see:

Screenshot 2023-05-15 161752.jpg

Additionally, when I enter "custom.db.query" for the metric, I get the error "no meteric found for custom db query".

Thanks, that is just a slightly older version of data explorer on the docs, but the metric key and everything else is the exact same, some buttons just moved around.

If you don't have a metric something is not correct with the extension, I suggest opening a ticket so we can take a look at the logs.

Thanks for the reply.  Regarding the error, it turns out I didn't have a value column populated.  Since the field was listed as optional, I thought maybe it didn't need to be there.
I guess my issue is that I don't quite understand how the query results are supposed displayed in the Data Explorer.  I suspect the queries need to be written a specific way, in order to be used by the Data Explorer.  But there doesn't seem to be much information about this that I can find.  The examples in the previous link are very limited.
I will research more.

The queries don't need to be written an specific way, and you do not need a value column populated to get metrics.

Everything you need to get a query working is already documented on the "Configuration" tab of the extension, for instance:

david_lopes_0-1684248029522.png

Featured Posts