cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query-level visibility and log events support in SQL Datasource?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dynatrace SaaS release notes version 1.257,
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/whats-new/release-notes/saas/sprint-257

references:

"Oracle monitoring extensions are extended with query-level visibility. It leverages the SQL DataSource's new capability of collecting log-based data, such as query execution statistics, execution plans, or audit logs."

Is someone aware of what this really means in practice?

Antonio Sousa
3 REPLIES 3

jegron
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Edit: My mistake. My answer is not related to this new feature. Please read @gszymanowski answer below.

Hi @AntonioSousa !

Insight from support last month when I tried to upload a custom SQL Server Extension 2.0 with custom query :

The custom DB extensions, which are currently the only option to execute custom queries, has been disabled for security reasons. 
It applies to all SQL-DS and all DB monitoring extensions - that means Oracle and MS SQL.
The reason is it allowed users to execute simply ANY SQL statement, which could lead to unforeseen consequences, down to data loss.
As a temporary solution, the DB extensions has been disabled.

1.257 was the target release for enabled again this feature for Oracle. And 1.258 for SQL Server.

So maybe you can now upload an extension with custom queries for Oracle. Regarding the documentation here is my sample for SQL Server (not tested yet) :

name: custom:sql.server.replication
version: 0.1.0
minDynatraceVersion: "1.256"
author:
name: Phenisys

metrics:
- key: sql.repl.status
metadata:
displayName: SQL - Statut de la réplication
description: Statut de la réplication
unit: Statut
tags:
- Phenisys

sqlServer:
- group: Replication Monitor
interval:
minutes: 5
featureSet: sql
subgroups:
- subgroup: SQL Server
query: >
EXEC distribution.sys.sp_replmonitorhelpsubscription @publication_type=0

metrics:
- key: sql.repl.status
value: col:Status

- key: sql.repl.latency
value: col:Latency

dimensions:
- key: sql.repl.subscriber
value: col:Subscriber

- key: sql.repl.subscriber_db
value: col:Subscriber_db

- key: sql.repl.publisher
value: col:Publisher

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

@jegron,

Thanks for your reply. I thought this might be related to the Oracle Database extension?
https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/detail/oracle-database/

I say this because the text explicitly mentions Oracle, and not the generic DB extension.

Antonio Sousa

Hi @AntonioSousa ,

The release information is not related to custom db extensions. Please kindly disregard message above. 

This release is about new functionality for the official sql oracle extension to track the most expensive queries. In practice, user gains insights into query performance and is able to diagnose the long execution times. Feature is available for sql oracle extension starting from version 1.0.9.

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Featured Posts