cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced detection rule for process group

AK
Pro

Hi Team,

With the advanced process group detection rule, I'm able to get the process groups below
process-1-1234-ab1c, process-2-5678-xy1z, and so on...

I would like them to be detected as,
process-1,process-2

There is no option to apply regular expression, only delimits from and to option are present

Can someone help to achieve this?
Regards,
AK

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_Eaton
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Since it's the name you want to change, could you not use a Process Group Naming Rule - https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/platform-modules/infrastructure-monitoring/process-groups/con...

That allows regex

@Tom_Eaton , Thanks for the response,
I think, I missed to add that, the process groups 'process-1-1234-ab1c, process-2-5678-xy1z' are detected via 'advanced process group detection rule' and because this rule, it keeps creating process groups like below,

process-1-1234-ab1c, process-1-3211-fd5j, process-1-3298-vbs5, and so on..

process-2-5678-xy1z, process-2-9845-ab1c, process-2-0121-ret3, and so on..

process-3-8765-xsf1, process-3-6544-q2we, process-3-5890-1aws, and so on..

and so on...

If I use 'process naming rule' to exclude content after second hyphen (-) for above process groups then, there will be lot of process groups with same name. If we take example for above case then, after applying process group naming rule it will be like below,

process-1, process-1, process-1, and so on.. (Process group)

process-2, process-2, process-2, and so on.. (Process group)

process-3, process-3, process-3, and so on.. (Process group)

and so on...

So process group naming rules will not help. We need to build a 'process detection rule' that will group a processes like below,

process-1 (Process group)

--> process-1-1234-ab1c, process-1-3211-fd5j, process-1-3298-vbs5, and so on.. (Process group instance)

process-2 (Process group)

--> process-2-5678-xy1z, process-2-9845-ab1c, process-2-0121-ret3, and so on.. (Process group instance)
process-3 (Process group)

--> process-3-8765-xsf1, process-3-6544-q2we, process-3-5890-1aws, and so on.. (Process group instance)

Regards,

AK

Are there any other unique identiefiers within the process? If not perhaps it's possible to work with an environment variable within the process? 

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/platform-modules/infrastructure-monitoring/process-groups/con...

Check the part about environment variables? 

#Performance matter!

Romanenkov_Al3x
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

You can try to use environment variable DT_CLUSTER_ID=process-1 to skip all built-in \ additional user defined rules. 

Romanenkov_Al3x_1-1680677077440.png

We use this approach in k8s - to have no set of rules in the interface and to be able to manage the name of the process group from the yaml manifest by application\infra team.

Or try to use "advanced process group detection rule" with environment variables as @michiel_otten replied.

Regards,

Alex Romanenkov

DT_NGINX_FORCE_UNKNOWN_VERSION_INSTRUMENTATION=1

@Romanenkov_Al3x, thank you for the response.

Where I can find the variables that are passed, does it show anywhere on Dynatrace console or I have to look into kubernetes.yml?

I'm observing some 'Kubernetes annotations' at process group instance level, can we make use of that in detection rule?

Regards,

AK

AK
Pro

Thank you for help and suggestions everyone.
Well, my colleague help me to do it successfully. Here is how we achieved it.

Created a advanced detection rule to extract process groups with numbers and then created a process group naming rule to give desired names to process groups,

Using 'Advanced detection rule process groups transformed to,

1 (Process group)
   --> 1, 1, 1, and so on.. (Process group instance)
2 (Process group)
   --> 2, 2, 2, and so on.. (Process group instance)
3 (Process group)
   --> 3, 3, 3, and so on.. (Process group instance)
and so on...

Applied process group naming rule to make it like below,

process-1 (Process group)
   --> process-1, process-1, process-1, and so on.. (Process group instance)
process-2 (Process group)
   --> process-2, process-2, process-2, and so on.. (Process group instance)
process-3 (Process group)
   --> process-3, process-3, process-3, and so on.. (Process group instance)
and so on...

Regards,

AK

Featured Posts