cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Check how many agents are reporting to one ActiveGate

Eswari
Observer

Hello Team ,

Instead of doing netstat on AG Server to check how many agents are reporting at that point of time to that ActiveGate Server.

Is it feasible to check how many DT one agents are reporting to particular ActiveGate from DT SaaS tenant/GUI ?

Thanks in Advance !!

@amitbsht321 

Regards,

Eswari

8 REPLIES 8

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Eswari. In general you should not need to do or know this. Our support teams can see this if it ever is necessary in the course of a support ticket. ActiveGates are automatically HA, meaning if you have two and one goes down or is over-utilised, the agents will automatically failover to the second. In addition, OneAgents will periodically move between ActiveGates (within a zone [see below]).

However, it sounds like you might be interested in the network zones feature. This lets you segment your ActiveGates and OneAgents according to your requirements. For example, if you specify that an ActiveGate (AG) is in "zone1" then you can install OneAgents with a --set-network-zone=zone1 flag. OneAgents in this zone will only talk to AGs in zone1.

To view your topology, go to Manage > Deployment Status > Network Zones

adam_gardner_0-1634797919384.png

Further info on Network Zones is here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/network-zones/

Hello,

I'm rather puzzled by your statement:

"In general you should not need to do or know this."

I'd hope that Dynatrace wouldn't assume what their Users do or do not need to know. This information was fully accessible in AppMon and I also note that it has now recently been added  as a new feature in the information the AGs display in the Deployment Status page.

There are a great many self-monitoring black holes in Dynatrace SaaS and all information should be shared to help improve the product.

I am 100% in agreement with the statement "In general you should not need to do or know this."

Maybe we need this for change control? Maybe we need this because we are trying clean/reorganize our environments because multiple hands have been in the environment. There are reasons to know what is going on despite what Dynatrace may happen to say.  Just consider that some food for thought.

roman_z
Observer

Hello Eswari,

you could use REST API /api/v1/oneagents

there are fields currentActiveGateId and currentActiveIds (A list of ActiveGate IDs of ActiveGates to which OneAgent is currently connected).

ActiveGateId is represented as long and hex number. You should use currentActiveIds (hex number)

For example:

jq -r ".hosts[] | [ .hostInfo.displayName,.currentActiveGateId,(.currentActiveGateIds | join(\",\")) ] | @tsv " oneagents.json

d2j.ttt.com 462588410 0x1b9289fa

ci.ambit.tempest.test 1443825187 0x560f0623

You could get list of yours active gates also from REST API - /api/v2/activeGates

ActiveGateId is in hex format.  

jq -r ".activeGates[] | [ .id,.hostname ] | @csv " ag.json
"0x560f0623","ci.ambit.tempest.test"

But the list does not contain Dynatrace active gates for SaaS deployment

Kind regards,

Roman

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Yes, having this information, especially over time, might be interesting.

You're probably concerned about traffic management, so you might use the new dsfm: metrics, that you can even put in a nice Dashboard:

AntonioSousa_0-1634829585628.png

Antonio Sousa

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi, @Eswari ,

Your question is quite similar to @jean_louis_lorm's Product Idea, so I'll update you as well 🙂

What you're looking for is currently possible! 😄

I described it in detail on this "Tips and Tricks" post, so feel free to check it out:

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Dynatrace-tips/List-of-Hosts-connected-to-an-ActiveGate/td-p/1792...

Hope it helps!

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

This is possible now using API too:
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/environment-api/activegates/activegate-info/get...

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

ben_wrightson
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Featured Posts