Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM MQ hosts monitoring benefits

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

What are the benefits of monitoring the IBM MQ hosts?

Regards,

Babar

11 REPLIES 11

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @Babar_Qayyum 

The main benefits, in my opinion, are that I will first of all provide an in-depth understanding of the performance and stability of the messaging system. This allows you to quickly detect and resolve issues such as message congestion, message delivery problems or queue manager failures. This helps to avoid downtime and ensure the continuity of business-critical applications. In addition, real-time monitoring allows you to optimise resource utilisation, identify performance bottlenecks and improve overall system performance. Monitoring tools also provide important historical data that is invaluable for planning future scalability and infrastructure expansion. As a result, companies can better manage their messaging infrastructure, ensuring high availability and reliability of systems that are critical to their operations.

Radek

Have a nice day!

Hello @radek_jasinski 

Thank you for your comments.
In case the queues are monitored through the IBM MQ to monitor the performance of queue manager objects, and hosts are monitored with other infrastructure monitoring tools.

Regards,

Babar Qayyum

PacoPorro
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi @Babar_Qayyum 
Queues and databases are treated as external services, but having the oneagent installed in the underlying servers allows Davis to correlate any problem in the infra.

Hello @PacoPorro 

So, switching the agent from Full-stack to infrastructure should be sufficient to fulfill the correlation requirements. Is my understanding correct?

Regards,

Babar

Keep in mind that IBM MQ comes with Java processes, and those would be injected by the Java agent.
Take a look at the information provided in Full Stack mode , because you can see also information like consume requests at the service level.

Hello @PacoPorro 

Can you please elaborate, as I do not see any detected service on the IBM MQ processes?

Regards,

Babar

An actual example

PacoPorro_1-1711528710694.png

Hello @PacoPorro 

The IBM MQ Queue Listener is part of the IBM Integration Bus technology and is monitored as full-stack. I was referring to the IBM MQ technology. It seems my question was not right from the beginning, or still, I am missing your point.
Regards,
Babar

Hi @Babar_Qayyum,

Yes, infra only the is recommended. Another advantage of the oneagent on IBM MQ server, that MQ oneagent extension will not consume DDU opposite the AG MQ extension.

Best regards,

Mizső 

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

@Mizső

I have a question regarding the OneAgent extension: If I use the OneAgent extension to collect additional metrics for a specific technology, will it consume DDU?

Or is it only the ActiveGate extension that consumes DDU?

Thanks,

Tijust

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @tijust1,

OneAgent extension consume DDU only in case of the included metrics per host unit is exceeded. It means that most of the cases OneAgent extension does not consume DDU. 

Check this documentation link:

https://docs.dynatrace.com/managed/shortlink/metric-cost-calculation#metrics-per-host-unit

Mizs_0-1711697686506.png

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Featured Posts