cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenTelemetry integration?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have a set of data that are like Purepaths, in Dynatrace terminology.

At the moment, there is no way to integrate them into Dynatrace.

Looks to me that I will have to wait for OpenTelemetry integration.

Does anyone know if it's around the corner?

Antonio Sousa
9 REPLIES 9

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

It's most likely around the corner or in a closed preview state as I already saw some mentions regarding OpenTelemetry in the OneAgent change logs.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

That's particularly interesting! Any pointer? Thanks!

Antonio Sousa

My apologies, to correct my answer, it was opentracing, not opentelemetry oneagent module mentioned in the changelogs.

Keep in mind that OpenTracing and OpenCensus are now merged with OpenTelemetry.

A year ago there was a Webinar with @Sonja C. where she did show an integration with 3rd party Tracing (OTelemetry in this case) https://youtu.be/CFmdUdbptUg?t=2962 an DT ingesting data from OTelemetry directly and showing as purepath.

I'm well aware of the merge into OpenTelemery. Still, considering Dynatrace, I don't recall any options how to ingest any 3rd party trace data into Dynatrace as presented by Sonja. So I guess this is not ready to use by the public, but I'm sure they are working on it pretty hard.

daniela_rabiser
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi @Antonio S.!

OpenTelemetry and OpenTracing are frequently used terms in our offices. For instance, we are currently working on an OpenTelemetry metrics exporter which will automatically tap into metrics exposed via OpenTelemetry instrumentation to send the telemetry data to the Dynatrace analytics engine (as announced in this blog post). However, you seem to be more interested in OpenTelemetry trace data/span support.

Can you please share some further details on the use case you'd like to address with an OpenTelemetry integration? How do you collect the mentioned set of OpenTelemetry data? Are you collecting OpenTelemetry spans? For what language?

Thanks,
Daniela

Hi @Daniela R.,

Yes, I'm talking about trace/span support.

It's a PaaS service, where I have visibility to the trace/span data. It's not OpenTelemetry, but the data is there. This includes data like services/queries being invoked, number of queries invoked, time spent, IPs, sizes, errors, etc.

I can't ingest into Dynatrace in no known form at the time, being it AG extensions, OneAgent SDK, or direct API. I have been testing the Metrics Ingestion protocol also, but it seems rather limited at the point, in the sense that it seems only to support custom metrics, and few UI visualizations for now. But it seems the way to go.

Given the rich detailed data I have access to, I'm imagining that OpenTelemetry will be the way to go... So, basically, I have to make a decision to wait, or implement it in another way.

Antonio Sousa

You mention it's not OpenTelemetry, so are you looking at OpenTracing traces/spans right now? Could you maybe share an example span?
You mention it's a PaaS service. Can you maybe share what PaaS service you are using?

Thanks,
Daniela

sonja
Inactive

Now that Dynatrace has support for OpenTelemetry, here's the link to the documentation: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/opentelemetry/ 

Featured Posts