cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace a web request coming from a specific host

sravansakkhari
Visitor

Hi Team,

We would like to track a single web request which gets invoked from a specific host and would like to alert or create dashboards for any exceptions or abnormalities with the request. 

Could you please help.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Can you mark that request as a key request? you can then tile that on a dashboard as well. 

-Chad

Thank you for your response.

We would like to get an alert if the call to the request is originating from a specific host. We are not interested if the call is originating from a different host.

As per my understanding marking a request as key request, we will be getting notified every time there is some error or abnormality, right? Can the alerts be triggered only if the call is coming from a specific host?

Thank you.

Hi,

Maybe you can play with metric selector events to be sure you are selecting only that specific host.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@sravansakkhari,

The trickiest part is getting the restriction for a certain host. You will have to set up a request attribute, like for instance, grabbing the client IP address.

You then make the selection in an MDA, including that request attribute and the URL that you need, and validate you can see only those requests that you are interested in (this for validation purposes only), Create a metric from there, and alert every time it's bigger than zero.

Antonio Sousa

BTW, I use this as a great detection in two clients where we detect when penetration testing is happening. As we know the IP, and it's a fixed one, we know that maybe problems might be raised by Dynatrace.

But I'm going to get it better and follow your idea, alerting only when exceptions or bad requests happen 🤣

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts