cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between extensions and plugins

sjennings
Newcomer

I see references to extensions and to plugins throughout the docs. Is there a difference? 

For example, if I write code for the OneAgent Extensions SDK, is that code a plugin? 

I am very new to Dynatrace, I suspect this may be a lame question. Sorry.

Steve

3 REPLIES 3

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@sjenningsFirst of all, welcome!

It's a very interesting question, not lame at all!  Because I have been developing extensions for quite a long time and had not noticed the difference 🤣

And I can't even explain it, but looking at the documentation, like the link below,

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions/development/extension-how-tos/dep...

it seems that plugin might be an older name (after all, one file included in an extension is called plugin.json). But I'm not sure, and maybe someone might give a better answer 😂

Antonio Sousa

Correct - I've been using extensions from the very beginning - approximately in Dynatrace 1.117. It was mostly called plugin at that time. I believe extension is a much better name and should be used instead.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi guys, 

Its look like "plugins" came along from good old AppMon plugins and got new branding as extensions as @Julius_Loman & @AntonioSousa wrote.

HTH

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Featured Posts