17 Dec 2019 05:22 AM - last edited on 27 Apr 2021 04:11 AM by MaciejNeumann
So i've been trying to get the Tomcat threads to show up under my 'Further details' on my processes which are Tomcat in my environment. So far i have been unsuccessful. It's weird because for the Spring apps, it shows up no problem.
I do report full JMX stats and see those on the Process, so clearly i can get what i need, I'm wondering if i just need a further configuration. I tried making custom metrics but that was shaky at best and i never really got quite what i needed, and in speaking with Support the indications is should see what i need by default, yet i do not.
My suspicion is that the way we have utilized jakarta-tomcat is doing something funky with Dynatrace and causing those stats to not report properly, despite us having that info in *ewRelic. Anyone who could suggest something, it would be greatly appreciated. I've run out of ideas and paths to investigate.
Solved! Go to Solution.
So you say that you can create JMX plugin that will fetch those metrics for you? I've seen multiple times that some thread pools had wrong data scale (for example values was not 100 but 1 when it should be 100) but I've never seen situation where thread-pools are missing at all.
yeah so i mad a plugin and you are correct, the scale is all wrong (i see 2.0 or 1.5 but on the Tomcat Process in the box i know it has something like 172) so i gave up on that.
It's really weird because i DO see Tomcat threads reporting on my Spring apps like i would expect (see screenshot) which makes me believe it's config
I think this may need assistance someone from stuff or support ticket. In general on process tab you see total amount of threads started by process, here you have internal thread pool related to technology.
thanks, i figured it would. got a ticket open with them.
We do get threads counts in the process details for Tomcats (with recent OneAgents). I believe this is something wrong happening in your environment.
Also a significant improvement regarding threads in Java came with 175 (Oneagent) / 176 (Cluster) - Continuous thread analysis. But this is more or less a debug functionality, but very useful for troubleshooting the applications.
I've suspected it was something on our side. We do some funky JAva mambo in our app so it doesn't surprise me that it might not be a DT Config/function issue.
If it is possible, try to update the OneAgent to the most recent available version for the host and restart the processes.