cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to turn off RUM JS injection for ALL process groups?

hayden_miedema
Inactive

A client pointed out that they see several log messages related to injecting the RUM Javascript agent into processes where it is not necessary. All of the services we are monitoring in the environment are backend APIs with no frontend related component. Currently, we have to browse to the settings page of each process group and manually turn these off:

Is there a way to turn this off by default? Or is there an option on deployment for this to be disabled? This is a PaaS environment and process groups are up and down very frequently, meaning we would have to manually turn this off for each process group every time a new version is deployed.

Thanks,

Hayden

6 REPLIES 6

AlexanderSommer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

You can turn off real user monitoring for all applications including the default application ("My web application"). If a customer has not defined any application with a specific rule, all real user monitoring data will be assigned to the default application. If real user monitoring is turned off for the default application, the OneAgents will not inject the JavaScript tag.
If you still want to have real user monitoring for some pages, you need to create an explicit application rule and enable real user monitoring for this application.
The configuration for the default application can be found in the global settings - web and mobile monitoring - application rules

hayden_miedema
Inactive

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that we can turn this off globally on the application level, but I was asking about at a process level. My screenshot is on a process group, not an application. This injection is causing output into log files of my client that they were not expecting. These processes serve only as APIs and not true web applications, so they need not be injected.

AlexanderSommer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Have you tried turning off real user monitoring for the default application which acts like a "catch all" container? I would expect that the log spam is gone then. At the moment this is the only way to deactivate the real user monitoring javascript tag injection globally.
Turning of real user monitoring injection for technologies or a complete tenant on agent level is currently on the roadmap but not planned for the next months.
Please create a product enhancement idea and I will update it with our progress.

Hi Alexander,

I did turn off RUM injection for the default application after your first comment. I will try and see if that helps the log spam. If not I will report back.

Thanks,

Hayden

Hi Hayden,

I guess it worked ?

Thanks

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi guys,

Just for the record, you can now switch off Real user monitoring under OneAgent features   

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Featured Posts