cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LDAP monitoring

Rob_D
Participant

Hi,

I need to know what to expect from a LDAP monitoring done by dynatrace if we set the hosts in full stack. can it measure ldap specific metrics and events?

I know the difference between infra and full-stack mode but I need to know if i can get something profitable from monitoring ldap with dynatrace

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Rob D.

9 REPLIES 9

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi Rob,

The LDAP Synthetic extension is paid as part of the PES.

DanielS_0-1623189334169.png

If you have Dynatrace Managed you can integrate your LDAP using this guide https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/managed-ldap

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

Hi,

Thank you DanielS. It's a DT SaaS but the plugin could be a valuable option.

I will try to know deeply how it works

Thanks a lot!!

Rob. D

Hello Rob,

Do you integrate your LDAP in Dynatrace?

Are you satisfied?

Hi,

Does anyone here have experience on this extension? What extra value does it provide compared to e.g. regular synthetic browser monitors which login to the target system via LDAP?

The Dynatrace Hub is a nice source of finding compatibility support info, but I wish these extensions were somehow documented, at least on a high level. It doesn't seem efficient to always ask from a sales rep, "so what does this extension do".

We will be using this extension to synthetically monitor LDAP endpoints for availability and response time, along with any specific LDAP searches.  LDAP is a protocol similar to HTTP; the URL used in this extension uses ldap(s)://endpoint.test.com as opposed to http(s)://endpoint.test.com.

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Yeah, the extensions' documentation has improved quite a lot since 2 years ago when the above discussion took place. Now there are screenshots and instructions for configuration, etc. which give you a much better idea of what the extensions do. The LDAP plugin allows you to customize the LDAP queries in great detail, which is of course much more than just testing the login process via browser monitors.

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

I see two extensions for LDAP

Kenny_Gillette_0-1689101587161.png

What type of LDAP?

Here are some for Active Directory:

Kenny_Gillette_1-1689101644080.png

Here is the DT store:

https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/?query=ldap&filter=all

Kenny_Gillette_2-1689101722856.png

"I see two extensions for LDAP" -> No but the one named "LDAP" is not actually an extension. You can try clicking it, and it'll take you the documentation for configuring LDAP for Dynatrace Managed.

The "LDAP" extension is for administration purposes, and I too find it odd the link takes you to configuring DT authentication.  The "LDAP Synthetic" extension is an Active Gate extension used to synthetically monitor LDAP endpoints.

Both of these extensions shouldn't be tagged for real user monitoring in the Community.

Featured Posts